4915RE: [SQLQueriesNoCode] Better approach to Queries and Relationships design Question

    Jun 26 7:45 AM

      I would only separate the data into two tables IF:

      1.       A set of the columns are retrieved significantly more often than the remaining columns

      2.       A set of the columns are often NULL (then it would be a one to less than one relationship)

      3.       There are few requirements where I need to join the two tables.

      Separating into two tables, one with FKeys and other lookup values to facilitate JOINs, filters, etc., is meaningless since all lookups and JOINs will be using indexes, not the tables.

      Especially for DW use, I would not separate the data. Often in DW designs, we will ‘flatten’ and denormalize multiple tables in order to enhance query responsiveness. (Normalization is for storage and data consistency, not query responsiveness.)

      If using SQL Server, and some columns are most frequently NULL, consider using SPARSE COLUMNS and COLUMN SETS.

      Arnie Rowland | Westwood Consulting, LLC | +1-503-246-6172

      Microsoft SQL Server MVP

           "You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late."

            -Ralph Waldo Emerson