Re: Welcome to SPURLIN@onelist.com

  • Leonard Chapel
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 1999
      Hi all,

      Looking for proof, and not just guess-work or assumtions. I've seen
      enough of that over the years. I'm sure y'all have, too.

      My Spurlin(g) line came out of Surry and Alleghany Co., NC.

      It is as follows:

      Zachariah Spurlin m. ???
      Mary m. William Moxley
      Zachariah m. Susannah Wagoner
      Adam m. Jane Edwards
      John m. Mary Crouse
      Verna m. Garvie Killon
      Eulalie m. Ray Chapel
      Len (me)

    • Charles Liebow
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 1999
        Looking for Virginia connection of James Spurling born perhaps 1700. Placed
        in gaol in Maryland, escaped and was apprehended in New Hampshire 1728, and
        supposedly extradited back. Thhere is a James Spurling in Newcastle,New
        Hampshire. 1728 chuck. Perhaps the beginning of Doeneast Spurling clan.
      • Lucy Sperlin Skjelstad
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 1999
          Hi,

          I've been trying to post a message to the list, but unsuccessfully. The
          introduction still says 'you are not a member.....'

          I'm leaving home for a week, so instead will copy it herewith:

          #######
          Hello Spurlin 'cousins'. I'm new to the list, having just retired and
          found
          time to work on the boxes of family stuff that has accumulated over the
          years.

          I'm from a west coast branch, my lineage:

          Jesse Spurling b. VA 1864
          Jesse Spurling b. VA 1894
          Jonas Spurlin b. OH 1827
          Henderson Spurlin b. IN Shelby Co. IN 1851
          Otis Bedney "O.B." Sperlin b. Howard County IN about 1878
          Robert Benton Sperlin b. Tacoma, WA 1909 (my dad)

          I've recently returned from a trip to Shelby County, IN where I gathered
          all the
          information I could on Spurlins and related families. I saw the land
          where several
          children of the 'second' Jesse settled in the 1830's. Their descendants
          must
          number in the hundreds by now. I've put together most of the original
          families,
          and some of their descendants, but there are still numerous loose ends
          (of course).
          So I'd love to share information with others working in the same area.

          Finally, I owe great thanks to Wm. Garard who has compiled much about
          this family
          branch and gave me a fabulous jump-start. I'm now able to add some to
          his infor-
          mation and would welcome questions or info sharing with other Sperlins
          with
          Indiana roots. I'll continue my work until I'm confident that it is
          correct and
          as complete as possible before broadcasting it, however.

          By the way, about 1900 my granddad saw the mis-spelling 'Sperlin'
          throughout the
          1850 census and concluded that it was the 'right' way to spell our name,
          so his
          descendants and those of one of his brothers became 'Sperlin'.

          Hope to hear from some of you. I suspect those Virginia roots tie
          together
          many branches of Spurlins throughout the country.

          Lucy Sperlin Skjelstad.