Spurlin in Iowa

  • idkaidsd
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hello everyone.

      My Name is Sherry McClellan. My Grandparents are Claude A. Spurlin &
      Loretta M.(Avey)Spurlin of Marshall,Hardin & Union Counties in Iowa.
      Daniel Spurlin (born 1 MAR 1804 in Yadkin County) came to Union Twp
      Iowa from North Carolina in 1851. Was married to Anne Jane Swift(
      born 20 May 1818 in Pennsylvania.) They had a son Daniel Floyd Spurlin
      ( born 3 NOV 1855 in Hardin County Iowa.) He married Etta Adams (born
      1881)& had 5 children.

      Mabel Bessie Surlin
      Lena F. Spurlin
      Leroy Spurlin
      Harold C. Spurlin
      Claude A. Spurlin (My Grandfather) born 18 JAN 1892 &
      passed 1 AUG 1981 at Veterans Hospital in Des Moines,Iowa. He was
      living On a farm in Marshalltown,Iowa.

      Does anyone have these in their line. There are many other Spurlin
      names in the Hauser Cemetery & in Hardin County,Iowa?

      idkaidsd@yahoo,com
    • Glitz

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
          Sorry.  My line is Spurling from Kentucky to Missouri in the early 1800's.  We've been mostly right here ever since.  Judy Spurling Hampton
        • Lucy Sperlin
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
            Sherry,

            I looked in Norman Spurling's genealogy which is an amazing resource, and
            found a couple of Daniels born around 1800 in N.C.

            In chapter 10 on Lincoln and Cleveland Counties, North Carolina, p. 145,
            lists James Spurlin "of Rutherford Co." who apparently went to Tennesee in
            the 1820s who had a son Daniel born "c. 1800" in North Carolina. Siblings
            were Hicks, John, Lizzie, Richard and Sallie.

            Better yet, on p. 291 in chapter 12 on Ashe Co., Surry Co., Alleghany Co.,
            Wilkes Co., Yadkin Co., NC he list what surely is your first Daniel. These
            are quotes:

            "Daniel Spurlin, born 3-1-1807 Yadkin Co. N.C. died 1-27-1868 Union
            Township, Hardin Co. Iowa,
            buried Hauser cemetery, Union Iowa
            arrived in 1846 Mercer Co., Ill, 1851 Hardin Co., Iowa,
            "moved by wagon to Hardin Co, Ia. Driving his sheep and cattle and spending
            3 months on the road. The oldest family owned farm in Hardin County, came
            into the Spurlin Family March 10, 1852 when a patent was issued to Daniel
            Spurlin, Sr. by Millard Fillmore. The Misses Mabel and Lena Spurlin are the
            3rd generation to occupy and own the homestead. Daniel Sr., Daniel Jr.
            Mabel and Lena" Daniel Sr. married Anna Jane Swift, dau. Of Peter Swift and
            she was born 5-20-1818 in Pennsylvania and died at Union Twp. Hardin Co.,
            and was buried at Hauser Cemetery. [from Open Fire Chapter, D.A.R. Iowa,
            Iowa Pioneers: 35 Pioneer Family Records. Compiled by Open Fire Chapter of
            Eldora, Hardin County, Iowa. 1950. pp55-56, typewritten. D.A.R. Library]

            This sounds like mostly stuff that you already know.

            A second quote is:

            "Daniel Spurlin
            Married first to a Riley, then to Ann Jane Swift. Daniel had a son
            named Zachariah who was the great grandfather to Mary Lou Barnum of
            Crookston, MN. Daniel's tombstone in Hardin Co., Iowa indicates he was born
            in 1804, and the county histories say he was a cousin to Samuel Spurlin, son
            of Zachariah Spurlin, Laurence Co., Indiana [based on Zachariah's will
            record]. [letter from Mary Lou Barnum, Crookston, MN Nov. 30, 1996]"

            At the beginning of the chapter, Norm writes:

            "The oldest Spurlin settling the mountains of western North Carolina seems
            to have been named Zachariah. Although there is no solid proof, it seems
            highly likely that he came from Fairfax Co. VA. He was in old Surry Co. by
            no later than 1782, and by the late 1780s a man named Zachariah attended
            church in what is now Yadkin Co. By 1790 there were at least two Zachariahs
            in western North Carolina. Deeds are plentiful for the Zachariah land
            transactions and many other records exist. The gravestone for one Zachariah
            near Sparta, NC gives his dates as 1747 - 1836. That had to be Zachariah
            Spurlin Sr."

            I am yet another Spurlin line --the Ohio/Indiana line. I think most of us
            who have long roots in the U.S. may have common ancestors in Virginia. I
            can get my ancestors back to a Jesse Spurling who came from Virginia to
            Ohio, but can't connect him to a specific parent there. By coincidence,
            there is a Claude in my family too --Claude Duball Spurlin -my grandfather's
            brother- born in Indiana in 1875.

            I hope you find respondents who are also from your line.... and that these
            tidbits might have something new for you to follow up on.

            Sincerely,

            Lucy Sperlin

[...]

            This is a flame free list. And be sure that you include your email on the
            end of your msg for that is how people can reach you. For some reason the
            headers do not come thru with your email. Some do and some don't so please
            include at the end of your msg.
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • atchfam
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
              --- In SPURLIN@yahoogroups.com, JudyHam@... wrote:

              > Sorry. My line is Spurling from Kentucky to Missouri in the early
              1800's.
              > We've been mostly right here ever since. Judy Spurling Hampton

              Judy, my line also is in Missouri and came from Ky., or Ga., depending
              on which census record you believe! BENJAMIN FRANKLIN SPURLIN or
              SPERLING [also depending on which record!] born in 1874 and married
              JULIA MAE CRAVENS in 1895...the family moved around in SE Missouri and
              their kids were: JESSE, JAMES, MARION,SHARLOTTIE, CYNTHIANN, and
              LILY...Julia died in a tornado as did the baby Lily...Benjamin later
              married a woman whose first name was also Lily...anything sound
              familiar? I'm really up against that brick wall in finding his
              ancestors!
              Joyce Atchley atchfam@...
            • JudyHam@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
                Sorry, again.  My line came to central Missouri in the early 1800's.  None of those names sound familiar and I think it has always been Spurling, even back into Kentucky and Virginia.  Sorry I wasn't any help.

                Judy Spurling Hampton
              • JudyHam@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Have a Zachariah Spurling b. 1749 in Fairfax Co., VA, who died in Surrey Co., NC.

                  Judy Spurling Hampton