Spurlin in SE Michigan

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
      Just found this Group and I thought I'd join. I'm 18 and live in
      Auburn Hills, Michigan and I'm not entirely sure how far we've traced
      our name back...but I'm pretty sure not very far. I'm going to get to
      reading all these posts.
    • Joyce Atchley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
        Well Hi!

        IF you will list your grandparents' names and where they're from, some of us may be able to give you a real boost in your researching.  For instance, my grandmother's maiden name was Spurlin...her dad was BENJAMIN FRANKLIN SPURLIN and her mother was JULIA MAE CRAVENS...

        Welcome to the family and the site!
        Joyce

        Sam <samspurlin@...> wrote:
        Just found this Group and I thought I'd join.  I'm 18 and live in
        Auburn Hills, Michigan and I'm not entirely sure how far we've traced
        our name back...but I'm pretty sure not very far.  I'm going to get to
        reading all these posts.

        This is a flame free list.  And be sure that you include your email on the end of your msg for that is how people can reach you.  For some reason the headers do not come thru with your email.  Some do and some don't so please include at the end of your msg.

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • glitz
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
          I also welcome you to the site.  My Spurlin's are from Tx.  Glitz

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005

            Sam,

            Going way back, probably to the late 1700s or early 1800s, there appear to have been migrations of Spurlings out of Virginia to (at least) Tennessee , North Carolina and Ohio .  From there they went other places and spelling changed slightly.  It’s possible that you’ll end up tracing your ancestry to one of these.  I’m from the Ohio to Indiana branch, some of whom changed the spelling to Spurlin about 1830 and to Sperlin about 1900.  It’s fascinating, and most of us *are* related, though some are pretty distant.  I lose my link back in Virginia , unable to discover who were parents of my ancestor Jesse Spurling, b. 1764 in Virginia .  Have fun!

            Lucy Sperlin

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 13, 2005
              Lucy - My name is Donna Sparlin.  My husband and I have researched the Sparlin surname for the last 30 years.  We always dead end with Andrew b. 1805  born in ?Pennslyvania and were in Holmes County, Ohio till 1835 spouse was Elizabeth Spurgeon; William Benjamin Sparlin b.1812 living in Ohio till 1835 spouse Susan Lee with their father probably John Sparlin spouse Nancy Parsons.  We are from the William Benjamin Sparlin tree and these families migrated from Ohio to Newton County Missour.  Through the years we have done several speculations on where these Sparlin's have come from and now I am thinking of a different name spelling of Spurlin/Spurling/Sperlin/Sperling etc.  I was wondering if these name might tie into someones family.  Thank you, Donna

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 14, 2005

                Donna,

                Nice to hear from you. It was incentive to poke around this evening in Norman Sperlings big 2 volume compilations of Spurling, Sparling, Sperling (& variations). I found some reference to your family, but it sounds like info you already have, other than perhaps another Andrew Sparland born before 1805.

                Excerpts:

                In the Missouri section:

                “From Missouri Pioneer: county & Gen. Records Vol 3 1968, p. 64 lists Barry County Missouri Marrianges including 24 May 1838 Benjamin Sparlin married Ann Twitty.

                “The 1840 census lists William Sperling near Andrew Sparling in Newton Co. Benton Township . Benjamin Sparland was in Buchanon Co., Jefferson   Township , and Alfred Spurling (the son of Hanson from Virginia ) was in Randolph Co.  Many Spurlin, Sparlin, Sperlings settled here by 1880. That census lists some as being born in Germany and Ireland . Birthdates for immigrants’ children seemed to indicate relatively recent arrivals in America .

                “Andrew Sparlin

                            arrived in Missouri from Pennsylvania .  Andrew was listed for Newton County , Missouri , Patrols of the Atlas, 1882, Post Office in Seneca. [Note: the 1880 Newton Co., MO soundex census record indicates he was born in Pennsylvania .]

                “William Sparlin married Susan Lee, Barry Co., MO June 7, 1838”

                (Both above from Missouri Gen. Records & Abstracts, vol. 3, 1787 – 1839, p. 116 and p. 224)

                ….then he lists info about Blucher Spurling and Alfred Spurling which I did not copy. Let me know if you want it.

                In the Pennsylvania section:  (might this be the parent of your Andrew b. 1805?)

                “1810 census for Pennsylvania, green Co., Morgan Twp. Microcopy, Roll 49, crayon p. 65:

                   Sparland, Andrew

                            1 male 45 yrs or older, 1 female 16 – 25, 1 female 45 or older. (Norman Spurling note: Andrew Sparling appears in the 1880 Missouri census as an old man who was born in Pennsylvania.)”

                (Lucy Sperlin note: Norman ’s note can’t be talking about the same person –if he was 45 in 1810, he would not have still been living in 1880, but it could be another generation.  –OR the 1880 is a typo and Norman is actually referring to the 1840 census per above.)

                Possibly connected is:

                “1850 Randolph Co. MO Census, M432 Reel 411 for Prairie Twp, stamped p 250, dwelling 721 lists

                1. Sperling 46, male wagonmaker, born in VA, real estate = $200; wife Elizabeth is 38 b. in KY, Susan 19  b. in KY and 10 other children born in KY and MO.  Nancy was 13, b. in MO.

                (Lucy’s note: the above seems to fit with your Andrew b. 1805 with a wife named Elizabeth.)

                This is just a little that may or may not help. If I come across anything else, I’ll let you know.  The name Elizabeth Spurgeon is awfully familiar, but I don’t know where from.  Some years ago my brother copied a bunch of Spurlin records at the National Archives, and perhaps it appeared there. I don’t see the name either in my Family Tree index, or in Norm’s book.

                I think census takers spelled names phonetically a lot, with would account for some of the variations.  My granddad noticed that all the names in the 1850 census in Shelby Co. IN were spelled “Sperlin” so he concluded that was the correct spelling and that his dad was incorrectly spelling it Spurlin.  About half of my grandfather’s siblings followed his lead and changed the spelling to an e.  Today it’s pretty clear that it was almost certainly a census takers creative spelling and Spurlin was the correct spelling (g was dropped a generation before).

                Happy hunting!

                Lucy