New here

  • captain71913
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2005
      I just found this site on a google search. My name is Ken and I am
      from Hot Springs, Arkansas. We spell it without a "g". I haven't
      read all the posts yet. I'm curious to see if there is anyone on here
      for whom I can make a family connection. I can't go back beyond my
      grandfather, but I've heard some gossip.
    • Joyce Atchley
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2005
        Hi,
        I've got a lot on all my lines that are not on a website because my tree just got too big to upload!  My grandparents spelled it without the 'g' too.  Give me some names and let me see what I have.  If there's a connection, then I'll upload the booklet on just that set of lines to you.

        possibly cousin, Joyce

        captain71913 <captain@...> wrote:

        I just found this site on a google search.  My name is Ken and I am
        from Hot Springs, Arkansas.  We spell it without a "g".  I haven't
        read all the posts yet.  I'm curious to see if there is anyone on here
        for whom I can make a family connection.  I can't go back beyond my
        grandfather, but I've heard some gossip.

        This is a flame free list.  And be sure that you include your email on the end of your msg for that is how people can reach you.  For some reason the headers do not come thru with your email.  Some do and some don't so please include at the end of your msg.

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • karinhunter2003
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2005
          Ken,
          My GreatGrandfather, William R. Spurlin, came from Hot Springs. He
          moved there as a young boy from Tennessee. We believe that he is the
          son of James (?) Spurlin, his stepmother was Amelia (last name
          unknown). He had two sisters, Jane and Sarah (also called Sallie), and
          two brothers, George W. and James Franklin (called Frank). Sarah,
          George and James would actually be his step-siblings.
          Jane married Wiley McDaniel, and Sarah married Leonard Ritter. We
          believe that they all stayed in Arkansas except William R. who headed
          to Texas -- He was in hot pursuit of the killer of his father. Family
          legend is that his father was a law enforcer who was killed in the line
          of duty "down by the river" after being hit in the head with a rock by
          one of the perpetrators.
          We are probably related and I have descendant information that could
          help you some. We are having difficulty getting beyond William R.
          Perhaps you could enlighten us with what you know!
        • Glenn Spurlin
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17, 2005
            Hi, Ken. My name is Glenn Spurlin and we live in Rock Hill, SC. We also
            spell our name without the G (as you can see) but apparently it used to have
            the g and was dropped by my gggrandfather. We have worked some on both
            spellings but can't get back very far without the g. If you are interested I
            can send you some info on my side.

            Glenn