Re: Spurlin, Hardeman Co., TN 1820's

  • Nell Cassatta
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2000
      --- In SPURLIN@egroups.com, Terri Hauk <motfot@... wrote:
      > I am seeking information on my Spurlin family in Hardeman Co., TN.
      > My g-grandmother was Julia Ann Spurlin Fawcett, b. ~1878?, wife of
      > Robert Louis Fawcett. Her father was George W. Spurlin, b.~1839,
      > married first Pamelia Jackson, second Minervia Jane Crews.
      >
      > Anyone else have Spurlins in southwestern TN? If not, where are
      > yours from?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Terri McDonald Hauk
      > motfot@t...

      Hi Terri,
      I think we're both looking for the same GEORGE W. SPURLIN(g) in
      Hardeman County, TN.

      Pamelia A. Jackson was first married to John Zolmon Scarborough who
      died April 6, 1862 during the Battle of Shiloh, and left two sons.
      She was the daughter of Armon O. Jackson and Cinderella Hunnell.
      Armon sold his land in Hardeman County in the middle 1860's and was
      in
      Woodruff Co., Arkansas in the 1870 census; as was George & Pamelia.
      have no clue as to whether Pamelia and George married in Arkansas or
      Tennessee, but, "feel" like she traveled with her parents. Their son
      Lee was born 18 Oct.,1867 and Pamelia most likely died shortly after
      his birth.

      In 1880, George was back in Hardeman County, TN and was included in
      that census with his new wife, JANE, age 31. Another researcher
      (Scarborough) tells me that George's new wife was Rhoda JANE Naylor
      Burkhead, widow of Eleazer Burkhead, their marriage date being May
      27,
      1877.

      Based on your information, plus what I can document, it is plausable
      that George could have been married three times, Jane Crews, Pamelia
      Scarborough and Rhoda Jane Burkhead. Please give me some input!
      Nell Cassatta

      rebel1@...
    • bespurli@oakland.edu
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2000
        My ancestry traces to Morgan Co TN

        On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Nell Cassatta wrote:

        > --- In SPURLIN@egroups.com, Terri Hauk <motfot@... wrote:
        > > I am seeking information on my Spurlin family in Hardeman Co., TN.
        > > My g-grandmother was Julia Ann Spurlin Fawcett, b. ~1878?, wife of
        > > Robert Louis Fawcett. Her father was George W. Spurlin, b.~1839,
        > > married first Pamelia Jackson, second Minervia Jane Crews.
        > >
        > > Anyone else have Spurlins in southwestern TN? If not, where are
        > > yours from?
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Terri McDonald Hauk
        > > motfot@t...
        >
        > Hi Terri,
        > I think we're both looking for the same GEORGE W. SPURLIN(g) in
        > Hardeman County, TN.
        >
        > Pamelia A. Jackson was first married to John Zolmon Scarborough who
        > died April 6, 1862 during the Battle of Shiloh, and left two sons.
        > She was the daughter of Armon O. Jackson and Cinderella Hunnell.
        > Armon sold his land in Hardeman County in the middle 1860's and was
        > in
        > Woodruff Co., Arkansas in the 1870 census; as was George & Pamelia.
        > have no clue as to whether Pamelia and George married in Arkansas or
        > Tennessee, but, "feel" like she traveled with her parents. Their son
        > Lee was born 18 Oct.,1867 and Pamelia most likely died shortly after
        > his birth.
        >
        > In 1880, George was back in Hardeman County, TN and was included in
        > that census with his new wife, JANE, age 31. Another researcher
        > (Scarborough) tells me that George's new wife was Rhoda JANE Naylor
        > Burkhead, widow of Eleazer Burkhead, their marriage date being May
        > 27,
        > 1877.
        >
        > Based on your information, plus what I can document, it is plausable
        > that George could have been married three times, Jane Crews, Pamelia
        > Scarborough and Rhoda Jane Burkhead. Please give me some input!
        > Nell Cassatta
        >
        > rebel1@...
        >

        > This is a flame free list. And be sure that you include your email on the end of your msg for that is how people can reach you. For some reason the headers do not come thru with your email. Some do and some don't so please include at the end of your msg.

        "People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

        -K
        Men In Black
      • Terri Hauk
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19, 2000
          > Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 02:31:27 -0000
          > From: "Nell Cassatta" <rebel1@...>
          > Subject: Re: Spurlin, Hardeman Co., TN 1820's

          ...snip...
          > Hi Terri,
          > I think we're both looking for the same GEORGE W. SPURLIN(g) in
          > Hardeman County, TN.
          >
          > Pamelia A. Jackson was first married to John Zolmon Scarborough who
          > died April 6, 1862 during the Battle of Shiloh, and left two sons.
          > She was the daughter of Armon O. Jackson and Cinderella Hunnell.
          > Armon sold his land in Hardeman County in the middle 1860's and was
          > in
          > Woodruff Co., Arkansas in the 1870 census; as was George & Pamelia.
          > have no clue as to whether Pamelia and George married in Arkansas or
          > Tennessee, but, "feel" like she traveled with her parents. Their son
          > Lee was born 18 Oct.,1867 and Pamelia most likely died shortly after
          > his birth.
          >
          > In 1880, George was back in Hardeman County, TN and was included in
          > that census with his new wife, JANE, age 31. Another researcher
          > (Scarborough) tells me that George's new wife was Rhoda JANE Naylor
          > Burkhead, widow of Eleazer Burkhead, their marriage date being May
          > 27,
          > 1877.
          >
          > Based on your information, plus what I can document, it is plausable
          > that George could have been married three times, Jane Crews, Pamelia
          > Scarborough and Rhoda Jane Burkhead. Please give me some input!
          > Nell Cassatta
          >
          > rebel1@...

          Hello Nell!!
          Yes, we are definitely on the trail of the same George W. Spurlin!
          Please excuse the delayed response--just returned from vacation and
          am wading through over 300 emails still....

          I have new info since I posted that message many, many moons ago. I
          have not been working on this line much, however so what I have is
          limited. Let's see what I can dig up:

          I was contacted by Ruthe Smith (ruthe@...) last November
          who gave me much of this info. She has a cousin who has researched this
          Spurlin line. She says that my great grandmother, Julia Ann Spurlin
          Fawcett, was the daughter of George W. and Rhoda Jane Naylor Spurlin.
          She also has 3 marriages:

          1. MINERVIA JANE CREWS (married 1 March 1858 in Hardeman Co.)
          2. PERMELIA JACKSON
          3. RHODA JANE NAYLOR (b. 1839, d. 1919, married 27 May 1877, records
          show G.W. Spurlin and Jane Burkhead applied for marriage license 26 May
          1877
          and they were married the next day by J.C. Jackson, JP)

          Rhoda went by 'Jane'. She had been previously married to Eleazer
          Burkhead.

          She lists my g-grandmother as Julina Ann, not Julia Ann. But my 2nd
          cousin,
          grandson of Robert Louis and Julia Ann Spurlin Fawcett, lived with them
          when he returned from WWII and says she was definitely 'Julia'. I also
          have 'Pamelia' Jackson, not 'Permelia'--but let's not be picky! :-)

          The following is the breakdown of the 1880 Hardeman Co. census
          record for this 'yours, mine, and ours' family. Jane and Eleazer
          Burkhead's children were not listed with the Burkhead surname but
          should have been (George William, Robert Lee, and William A.):

          > Hardeman Co. census, 1880, Household 264:
          >
          > Spurlin, G.W. 41 TN TN TN
          > Jane 31 Wife TN NC NC (Rhoda Jane? YES,
          > should be 41? YES)
          >
          > George WILLIAM 14 SON OF RHODA JANE & ELEAZER
          > BURKHEAD
          > Robert LEE 13 " "
          > " " " " "
          > Lee LEROY WEBB 11 SON OF G.W. & PERMELIA
          > 18 Oct 1867 - 6 Nov 1931
          > Udora 10 Dau (still doing research on this
          > child)
          > William A. 6 SON OF RHODA JANE & BURKHEAD
          > 2 June 1873 - 18 Dec 1916
          > John NEELY 5 SON OF G.W. & PERMELIA b. 28 May 8174
          > JULINA Ann 2 Dau of RHODA JANE & G.W. b.1878
          >
          > RHODA JANE b. 20 July 1838 d. 16 March 1919 from Consumption.
          >
          > RHODA JANE and ELEAZER BURKHEAD had several other children:
          >
          > MARTHA IDA 1862-1880
          > FRANCES A. 30 Aug 1860 - 7 Oct 1932 (buried in Union Cemetery,
          > Bolivar, TN)
          > EMMA E. 1870 - 21 Jan 1882 died from Brain Fever
          > Mary A. 1857 - d. before 1870

          =============
          George was in the Civil War--
          TN Confederate Pension Applications: Soldiers and Widows
          http://www.state.tn.us/sos/statelib/pubsvs/pen048.htm#pt48

          NAME: Spurlin, George W.
          PENSION #: S4853
          COUNTY: Hardeman
          UNIT: 1st Tenn., Ala and Miss. Inf.

          I have not yet sent for his military and pension records from
          the National Archives but plan to do this. I'm not sure how
          he moved around between Units from different states so much!
          ==============

          Eli, George and Lee Spurlin are all found in the 1891
          Hardeman Co., TN voter list in District 18.

          ==============

          Death Notice:
          George W. Spurlin, 75, 4 Dec. 1914 at home of son, Lee.

          ==============

          Spurlin, Lee 18 Oct 1867-6 Nov 1931, buried Hickory Grove Cemetery,
          Hardeman Co., TN
          (Also several Naylors, Scarbroughs, a Wm Birkhead, other Spurlins)

          This is all I can round up at the moment. I will keep looking and
          look forward to more exchange. I didn't have any of the info on
          George being in Arkansas and marrying Pamelia there! What do you
          know about the daughter, Udora? Keep in touch!

          Regards,
          Terri McDonald Hauk
          thauk@...
          (note different email address)