FW: AINA: Improving Security Allows Assyrians to Celebrate Religious Feast

  • Thomas Joseph
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7 7:22 PM
      See the attached photo of a Syriac Orthodox Palm Sunday procession in a town near Mosul with thousands of faithful participating. Christians of Mosul as you know have been subject to the most cruel tribulations in the war in Iraq - including barbaric beheadings and mutilations of clergy and laymen. One can only imagine the courage that these faithful would have had to muster to celebrate the triumphant entry of our Lord into the temple. We who practice our faith without fear ought to pause and count our blessings!

      Regards,
      Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
      Web Master, Syriac Orthodox Resources [ http://sor.cua.edu/ ]
      Tech. Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies [ http://bethmardutho.cua.edu/Hugoye/ ]

      Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 17:37:23 -0500
      From: news-noreply@...
      To: thomas_joseph@...
      Subject: AINA: Improving Security Allows Assyrians to Celebrate Religious Feast

      Improving Security Allows Assyrians to Celebrate Religious Feast
      GMT 4-7-2009 22:23:46
      Assyrian International News Agency
      To unsubscribe or set email news digest options, visit http://www.aina.org/mailinglist.html
      Al Hamdanyia, North Iraq (AINA) -- Thousands of Assyrians participated in a procession through the Assyrian town of Baghdede to celebrate Palm Sunday according to the Syriac Orthodox Church rite. The town of Baghdede lies just a few kilometers from the city of Mosul where there are still terrorist attacks. The overall increase in security is however being felt across Iraq and allowing for increased freedom for religious and national celebrations among the Assyrian community.

      This item is available as: html
      Copyright (C) 2009, Assyrian International News Agency. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use.