Re: [SORForum] Heirarchy

  • George Kiraz
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2001
      The priesthood is of three classes: 1) Bishopric, 2) The qashe, 3) the
      deacons.

      1) Bishopric:
      - Patriarch -- supreme head (1 at a time)
      - Catholicos, under the patriarch, but has an autonomous region of which he
      is the head (1 at a time)
      - Archbishops (traditionally, they have bishops under them, but that is not
      the case today)
      - Bishops (this office is now open only to widowers)

      2) The Qashe (priests)
      - Corepiscopos or Khuroyo (the head of priests in a locality, now the title
      is honorary)
      - Qasho (priest of a parish)

      3) The Deacons:
      - The Archdeacon (one per archdiocese only, and the head of the Cathedral,
      but it is more of an honorary title these days)
      - Deacon (called in Syriac ewangeloyo) -- a deacon has priesthood.
      - Subdeacon -- subdeacons, and the ranks below, do not have priesthood
      (i.e., they are not priests).
      - Reader
      - Singer

      Now monkhood is a totally independent thing. One can become a monk with or
      without being a priest or deacon. There are two types of monks:
      - Sharwoyo (novice): can leave the monkhood at any time, so long as he does
      not hold a rank of Deacon (ewangeloyo) or above.
      - Raban: a monk who is also ordained. If he leaves, all hell breaks loose
      (the person will be subject to excommunication).
      All the offices from Archbishop and above are restricted to monks (i.e., a
      married priest cannot hold any of these offices).

      As for marriage, it is intertwined with the priesthood:
      - A Singer, Reader, or Subdeacon may get married BEFORE or AFTER ordination.
      From the office of deacon up, one can get married BEFORE but not AFTER
      ordination.
      - As mentioned above, the office of archbishop and above is closed to
      married people -- tough luck! However, a widower priest may become a bishop
      (not archbishop).
      - If a married deacon, qasho, etc., becomes a widower, he cannot get married
      again because one cannot get married AFTER getting ordained into these
      offices.
      - If a married Singer, Reader, or Subdeacon becomes a widower, he may get
      married again, but to serve on the altar after the second marriage used to
      require a permission from the Patriarch... Things may have gotten easier
      these days.

      George Kiraz

      George A. Kiraz, Ph.D.
      Beth Mardutho: The Syriac Institute