Baptism in Syrian Tradition

  • M.O.I.
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2001

           The Syriac root of the word for baptism is `MaD, which means to
      descend into, to sink, to dip. This word is also used for washing.
           Triple immersion is used in the baptism of adults, but an infant is
      placed in the water and then the water poured thrice over his head. This
      practice is from the most ancient times, and is that which is commanded
      in the Didache of the Twelve Apostles. In that, the first-ever book of
      Church Discipline, we find: "7:1 But concerning baptism, thus baptize ye:
      having first recited all these precepts, baptize in the name of the
      Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in running water; 7:2 but
      if thou hast not running water, baptize in some other water, and if thou
      canst not baptize in cold, in warm water; 7:3 but if thou hast neither,
      pour water three times on the head, in the name of the Father, and of the
      Son, and of the Holy Spirit." Thus other forms are acceptable if it is
      impossible to baptize in a river.

      Fr Andreas Richard Turner
    • thomas_joseph@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2001
        The Syriac word for baptism is m`amodeeytho ('th' pronunced as in
        thin) derived from the root `mad which in this context means 'to dip
        in or under water, to bathe, wash'. In the current practice of the
        Syriac Orthodox rite of baptism, the priest places his right hand on
        the head of the candidate, and with his left hand takes the baptismal
        water and pours it over the head first from the front side of the
        candidate, next from behind and finally from the right and left side
        together. The water is thus taken in the form of a cross and the
        pouring is in the name of the three persons of the Holy Trinity.