Warm reception for Metropolitan Elias Mor Athanasius

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2007
      Warm reception for Metropolitan Elias Mor Athanasius

      http://www.hindu.com/2007/01/10/stories/2007011028130400.htm

      Warm reception for Metropolitan
      (Correspondent, The Hindu)

      NEDUMBASSERY: Metropolitan Kozhiparambath Elias Mar Athanasius who
      returned from Damascus after receiving `Susasthikon' from Patriarch
      Ignathios Zaka I was accorded a reception at the Cochin
      International Airport on Tuesday morning. He arrived here by the
      Qatar Airways flight.

      In a show of devotion and belief, hundreds of faithful thronged the
      airport premises to receive the newly consecrated Bishop.

      He was accompanied by Jacobite Church Synod Secretary Metropolitan
      Joseph Mar Gregorios.

      Lonappan Nambadan MP, Jose Thettayil, MLA, district panchayat
      president P.S.Shyla, CIAL General Manager Jiji Ramesh, church
      spokesperson Varghese Kallapara,block panchayat president K.J.
      Issac, Sunday School Association deputy director C.Y. Varghese were
      present.

      He was later taken in a procession to his parish Mar Sabore and
      Afroath Church at Akaparambu where he was received by Vicar Poulose
      Arackaparambil and trustees P.V. Gerogekutty and J. Jacob.

      Elias Mar Athanasius was consecrated as Bishop by Catholicos
      Basselios Thomas I Bava of Jacobite Church at Patriarchal Centre in
      Puthencruz on January 1, after which he left for Damascus.

      In his address to the faithful, he vowed to function in accordance
      with the teachings of the Catholicos Thomas I and for the uplift of
      the downtrodden.

      He further promised to strengthen the ecumenical movement.

      He reminded the believers of Patriarch Zaka I's call to respect the
      Indian Constitution and the democratic norms enshrined in it.

      He called for the settlement of all outstanding issues through
      consensus and by upholding the faith of the church.

      Plea to Government

      Meanwhile, he urged the Government to allow at least Catholicos
      Thomas I, Synod Secretary Joseph Mar Gregorios and himself to
      perform `Doopa prayer' at the tombs of the Metropolitans in the
      Thrikkunnath seminary in Aluva during the `Orma Tirunal' on January
      25, 26.

      He was accorded a civic reception by the Nedumbassery grama
      panchayat at the entrance of its office.

      Metropolitan Mar Athanasius was also accorded a warm reception at
      Simhasana Church, Thuruthussery, where he had been residing to serve
      as the manager of the school. Later, he left to Puthencruz to meet
      Catholicos Thomas I.