Visit of Pope to Syria

  • George Kiraz
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5 11:02 AM
      I have just watched the visit of H.H. the Pope to Syria in LBC. Here are some extracts -- from my memory -- that pertain to the Syriac Orthodox Church.

      At the airport, H.H. gave a speech in which he mentioned the importance of the region in early Christianity, mentioning St. Ephrem from the Syriac tradition. Later, in his visit to the Rum Orthodox (Antioch) Patriarchate, where all the patriarchs were present, including H.H. Mar Ignatius Zakka I, the Pope called for the unity of the Church. During his address, he addressed directly H.H. Mor Ignatius Zakka recalling the Patriarch's visit to Rome in 1984 and the agreement that was signed between the two hierarchs. He commended the Patriarch for his work in the ecumenical movement. He urged the Syriac Orthodox and Syriac Catholic church to work towards closer relations, and said that the Catholic Church has very good relation with the Malankara Church that is under the jurisdiction of Patriarch Zakka.

      The Pope will be visiting the Syriac Orthodox Patriarchate later on, I believe on Monday.

      George Kiraz

      George A. Kiraz, Ph.D.
      Beth Mardutho: The Syriac Institute
      http://www.BethMardutho.org