Re: Rev. Fr. Boulos Iskander (SOC priest in Iraq killed )

  • sandalow1
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2006
      The Jerusalem Post just carried this Ap article:

      Over 35,000 Christians have fled Iraq
      Associated Press, THE JERUSALEM POST Oct. 12, 2006

      -

      More than 35,000 Iraqi Christians have fled to Syria to escape the
      violence in their country, the leader of an Iraqi Christian group
      said Thursday.

      Christians, who make up three percent of Iraq's 26 million people,
      are leaving because of individual threats from Muslim extremists and
      the general deterioration of security in Iraq, said Emmanuel
      Khoshaba, the Syrian head of the Assyrian and Democratic Movement.

      His figure indicates an increase of 75% from the 20,000 Iraqi
      Christians who were said to have moved to Syria in 2004, the year
      after US-led forces invaded Iraq and began the conflict.

      One Iraqi Christian refugee, Bassam Najjari, 29, said he arrived in
      Syria last month; 40 days after gunmen shot and injured him in
      Baghdad, the Iraqi capital, as police looked on.

      "I decided to leave Baghdad with my family," said Najjari, who is
      staying in a camp near the Syrian capital, Damascus, with his
      parents and brothers.
      His brother, Wissam, said he plans to start his own business in
      Syria.

      "There is no hope of going back home as the security situation is
      very bad and there is no indication that it would get better soon,"
      Wissam said.

      "We want to live in safety. We don't want to be killed. We love
      life," said another Christian refugee, Saddallah Mardini, 43.

      Mardini said US forces should leave Iraq now.

      "The occupation has brought destruction to Iraq," he said.

      His wife, Wissam, 25, complained of shortages of electricity and
      water in Iraq.

      "My kids go to school now (in Syria), which is something they were
      deprived of in Iraq," she said.

      Syria's relaxed visa rules for Arabs, as well as its border and
      cultural proximity to Iraq, have attracted thousands of Iraqi
      refugees, Muslims as well as Christians. But a disproportionate
      number of the refugees are Christian.

      The violence in Iraq has hit Christians as it has targeted Sunni and
      Shi'ite Muslims.

      Seven Christians were killed in 2004 when suspected Islamic
      militants set off bombs in five churches in Baghdad and the northern
      city of Mosul. It was the first major assault on Iraq's Christians
      since Saddam Hussein's regime was toppled in April 2003.

      More recently, the Rev. Hanna Saad Sirop, the director of the
      Theology Department at Babel University, central Iraq, was abducted
      Aug. 15 as he left a Baghdad church after a mass celebrating the
      Assumption.