Re: Churches in Antioch, Turkey (Antakya)

  • drthomas_joseph
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23 9:03 PM
      Dear Al -

      The photograph is from 2000 when His Holiness offered the Holy
      Eucharist at the Cave Church of St Peter. I understand that this is
      a museum under the control of the Turkish government. The Turkish
      government permitted the Patriarch to offer the divine liturgy at
      the time. The Syriac Orthodox have no presence there to my knowledge
      and as I understand the Byzantines also do not have any significant
      presence.

      Regards
      Thomas Joseph

      --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "sandalow1" <sandalow@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks. Thanks for letting me in.
      >
      > I noticed a picture on your main web page of your Patriarch
      Ignatius
      > Zakka I at the Church of St. Peter in Antioch.
      >
      > I was in Antioch two years ago, looking for anything connected to
      the
      > earlier Christian presence. There was little to find. Certainly
      the
      > cave of St. Peter on the hill is important. But, I wondered if
      there
      > was any remains left of Byzantine era Christianity there.
      >
      > How old is your church there? Do any of you know of any other
      sites in
      > Antakya that have Christian roots?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Al Sandalow

    • sandalow1
      Message 2 of 3 , May 24 10:33 AM
        Thanks! It's really a shame that there has been so little recovery of
        the Roman/Byzantine Antioch. It was one of the greatest cities of the
        Mediterranean world in that time and for a long time one of the
        centers of Christian thinking and leadership.

        I fear the modern city now sits atop the greatest sites and there
        seems no interest in excavation.