Re: Digging for the Truth episode on History Channel

  • drthomas_joseph
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2006
      Dear Albert -

      This is clearly a misunderstanding/misinterpretation on both ends. I
      imagine that Mor Severus Malki Murad is not aware of the exact
      accusations being made in the Da Vinci code. I am pretty certain
      that he meant to say that a number of the Semitic Syriac Orthodox
      Christians in the Middle East have a blood lineage that can be
      traced back to the Semitic community into which Lord Jesus was born
      and from where the apostolic Christian community originated. Did he
      mean that the blood lineage is traced back to our Lord Jesus
      Himself? I would think the archbishop would have to be a big
      ignoramus about Syriac Orthodox doctrine and faith to suggest that.
      Knowing Mor Severus' background I don't believe he would ever
      suggest that.

      Let us say a person had an uncle who is a Syriac Orthodox bishop,
      obviously celibate. Does that person have a blood lineage with the
      bishop? Absolutely. Does this mean that he is the bishop's son.
      Absolutely not.

      Unfortunately, language has nuances. This is, I am pretty certain, a
      case where the bishop interpreted the question literally. What the
      bishop said has some truth to it (although he is discounting the
      fact that the Syriac Orthodox Church faithful in the Middle East
      have come from different ethnic backgrounds - Jew and Gentiles of
      different races.) In his eagerness to talk about his community's
      ancestry, he may not have suspected the possible misinterpretation
      of his answer. On the other hand, the host and his listeners appear
      to be reading more than what the bishop said or intended to say. And
      I believe the interpretation is wrong.

      PS: I welcome you to explore the Syriac Orthodox tradition. Do post
      your questions on the forum and visit the SOR web site as well as
      the several other web sites linked to it.

      Thomas Joseph, PhD
      Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu/)
      Technical Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies

      --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "albertkieholl"