Re: Digging for the Truth episode on History Channel

  • sandalow1
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2006
      I'm the wrong person to answer this, but I saw the same show (twice)
      and heard exactly what you did. I don't think he understood the
      question.

      I suspect he thought he was being asked if his community are the
      descendents of the early church and followers of Jesus. He may also
      have taken the question to be more spiritual in nature than biological.

      I've been to St. Marks In Jerusalem. Too bad they didn't talk more
      about the church.
    • drthomas_joseph
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2006
        Dear Albert -

        This is clearly a misunderstanding/misinterpretation on both ends. I
        imagine that Mor Severus Malki Murad is not aware of the exact
        accusations being made in the Da Vinci code. I am pretty certain
        that he meant to say that a number of the Semitic Syriac Orthodox
        Christians in the Middle East have a blood lineage that can be
        traced back to the Semitic community into which Lord Jesus was born
        and from where the apostolic Christian community originated. Did he
        mean that the blood lineage is traced back to our Lord Jesus
        Himself? I would think the archbishop would have to be a big
        ignoramus about Syriac Orthodox doctrine and faith to suggest that.
        Knowing Mor Severus' background I don't believe he would ever
        suggest that.

        Let us say a person had an uncle who is a Syriac Orthodox bishop,
        obviously celibate. Does that person have a blood lineage with the
        bishop? Absolutely. Does this mean that he is the bishop's son.
        Absolutely not.

        Unfortunately, language has nuances. This is, I am pretty certain, a
        case where the bishop interpreted the question literally. What the
        bishop said has some truth to it (although he is discounting the
        fact that the Syriac Orthodox Church faithful in the Middle East
        have come from different ethnic backgrounds - Jew and Gentiles of
        different races.) In his eagerness to talk about his community's
        ancestry, he may not have suspected the possible misinterpretation
        of his answer. On the other hand, the host and his listeners appear
        to be reading more than what the bishop said or intended to say. And
        I believe the interpretation is wrong.

        PS: I welcome you to explore the Syriac Orthodox tradition. Do post
        your questions on the forum and visit the SOR web site as well as
        the several other web sites linked to it.

        Thomas Joseph, PhD
        Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu/)
        Technical Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies
        (http://bethmardutho.cua.edu/Hugoye/)

        --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "albertkieholl"
        <albertkieholl@...> wrote:

        > I was watching an episode of Digging for the Truth on the History
        > Channel, and the host was in Jerusalem at the Monastery of St.
        Mark