Churches in Antioch, Turkey (Antakya)

  • sandalow1
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2006
      Hi folks. Thanks for letting me in.

      I noticed a picture on your main web page of your Patriarch Ignatius
      Zakka I at the Church of St. Peter in Antioch.

      I was in Antioch two years ago, looking for anything connected to the
      earlier Christian presence. There was little to find. Certainly the
      cave of St. Peter on the hill is important. But, I wondered if there
      was any remains left of Byzantine era Christianity there.

      How old is your church there? Do any of you know of any other sites in
      Antakya that have Christian roots?

      Thanks!

      Al Sandalow
    • drthomas_joseph
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2006
        Dear Al -

        The photograph is from 2000 when His Holiness offered the Holy
        Eucharist at the Cave Church of St Peter. I understand that this is
        a museum under the control of the Turkish government. The Turkish
        government permitted the Patriarch to offer the divine liturgy at
        the time. The Syriac Orthodox have no presence there to my knowledge
        and as I understand the Byzantines also do not have any significant
        presence.

        Regards
        Thomas Joseph

        --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "sandalow1" <sandalow@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks. Thanks for letting me in.
        >
        > I noticed a picture on your main web page of your Patriarch
        Ignatius
        > Zakka I at the Church of St. Peter in Antioch.
        >
        > I was in Antioch two years ago, looking for anything connected to
        the
        > earlier Christian presence. There was little to find. Certainly
        the
        > cave of St. Peter on the hill is important. But, I wondered if
        there
        > was any remains left of Byzantine era Christianity there.
        >
        > How old is your church there? Do any of you know of any other
        sites in
        > Antakya that have Christian roots?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Al Sandalow

      • sandalow1
        Message 3 of 3 , May 24, 2006
          Thanks! It's really a shame that there has been so little recovery of
          the Roman/Byzantine Antioch. It was one of the greatest cities of the
          Mediterranean world in that time and for a long time one of the
          centers of Christian thinking and leadership.

          I fear the modern city now sits atop the greatest sites and there
          seems no interest in excavation.