"Dukhrono" (Commemoration) A new endeavor from SOCM

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2006
      Dear Oriential Orthodox Believer!

      As a blessed tradition and the accepted practice of our Holy Church,
      from time immemorial, we request the parish priest to remember the
      name(s) of persons who celebrate Birthday, Wedding Anniversary etc or for the blessings or as thanks giving or the name of a sick person or someone who is in troubles or the departed dear and near ones; at the Holy Altar during the Holy Qurbono.

      But, due to migrational dispersals, now we reach and live in many
      corners of the globe, where many of us do not have enough co-
      believers to start a parish or we cannot do it due to the local regulations and so we have no chance to take part in a Holy Qurbono - nor can we ask a church or a priest to remember a name on a particular day/date.

      More over; there are dates like the Day of All Departed Priests
      (Kohne) and the Day of all Departed souls (`Aneede), the Church
      directs us to remember all our departed ones at the Holy Altar, but many of us are unable to do so due the reasons mentioned above.

      Taking into consideration of this un-fortunate circumstances, SOCM-
      FORUM would like to bring in a helping hand to such people who are living in a place where they cannot have access to Holy Qurbono.

      We named the new endeavor as "Dukhrono" (commemoration). Please see
      the foot note given below.

      If you are such a person and if in case you want to place/remember a
      name or names on occasions like Birthdays, Anniversaries, for
      blessings for a sick person, Memorials (Aaneedhe) or for any other
      special occasions, please send us an e-mail at least two days prior
      to the date you need; we can arrange to place your name(s) on the
      Holy Altar during Holy Qurbono.

      Right now Holy Qurbono is available on Sunday, Monday, Thursday and
      Friday. Many of our Bishops and Priests in the Forum have offered
      this service voluntarily.

      Email your names to dukhrono@... or dukhrono@... with
      subject of the mail "Name to be rememberd at Holy Altar" and quoting
      the exact need.

      Any priests from Oriental Orthodox Church ready to participate in
      this noble venture , please mail to us dukhrono@... or

      In Our Lord's Love.

      Thomas Daniel (Reji)
      ===============================================================================================================================Dukhron/dukhrono (root dkar):

      a) remembrance, anything kept in remembrance, a token of
      keepsake, memory; dukhroneh l-boorkotho - whose memory is blessed,
      of blessed memory.

      b) memorial, that part of a sacrifice which was burnt on the altar
      as a sign that God was prayed to remember the offerer, Lev. 2: 2,
      9, 16; hode hwaythoon `obdeeyn ldukronoy - do this for my
      Luke 22:19. hence the Eucharist is often called dukhrono.

      c) a memorial prayer, commemoration, esp. of the holy dead at the
      Lord's Supper and on special days, hence a Saint's day, holy day;
      dukhroneh d-sohde - Festivals of Martyrs, dukhroneh d`aneede -
      Festivals of the Departed.

      Meaning of the root word dkar:

      a) to remember, call to mind, be mindful of; part. a) active sense,
      remembering. dkeer'no - I remember
      b) passive, kept in remembrance, commemorated, rehearsed, recited.
      (Ethpael) - ethdakheer & ethdkhar - to remember, call to mind,
      have in remembrance or memory, make mention of, make a memorial,
      (Aphael) - adkhar - to remind, bring to remembrance, make mention
      of, mention, rehearse