Re: Magi

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6 11:52 PM
      Dear in Christ

      Please check this link http://www.socdigest.org/articles/02dec04.html
      This is not what you are looking for it, but it will give some
      information on the subject.

      In HIS Love
      Thomas Daniel (Reji)
      http://www.socdigest.org
      http://www.stgeorgecheppaud.org
      http://www.viswasasamrakshakan.org

      --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "edwinswan" <edwinswan@...> wrote:

      > I find the statement widely repeated on the internet that Syrian
      > Christians have names for the magi: Larvandad, Hormisdas, and
      > Gushnasaph. Sometimes it is added that this is a folk tradition but
      no
      > source is given. Even folk traditions have some literary first
      > appearance. For instance, the western Christian tradition of names,
      > Balthasar, Melchior, Casper seem to start with Names: Bithisarea,
      > Melichior and Gathaspa given in a document called the Excerpta Latina
      > Barbari ~500AD
      >
      > I am looking for any written sources for the Syrian tradition as well
      > as any Syrian tales or stories about the magi? Does anyone hear have
      any
      > information?

    • Kenneth Morgan
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8 8:46 PM
        Thankyou Thomas

        This is just the kind of thing I am interested in. The
        use of horses seems logical. I would also imagine the
        use of mules or asses to carry supplies for such a
        journey. I read that Iran was was famous for it's
        unusually large donkeys. Marco Polo mentioned them.

        --- Thomas Daniel <ThomasDanielReji@...>