Magi

  • edwinswan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2006
      I find the statement widely repeated on the internet that Syrian
      Christians have names for the magi: Larvandad, Hormisdas, and
      Gushnasaph. Sometimes it is added that this is a folk tradition but no
      source is given. Even folk traditions have some literary first
      appearance. For instance, the western Christian tradition of names,
      Balthasar, Melchior, Casper seem to start with Names: Bithisarea,
      Melichior and Gathaspa given in a document called the Excerpta Latina
      Barbari ~500AD

      I am looking for any written sources for the Syrian tradition as well
      as any Syrian tales or stories about the magi? Does anyone hear have any
      information?
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2006
        Dear in Christ

        Please check this link http://www.socdigest.org/articles/02dec04.html
        This is not what you are looking for it, but it will give some
        information on the subject.

        In HIS Love
        Thomas Daniel (Reji)
        http://www.socdigest.org
        http://www.stgeorgecheppaud.org
        http://www.viswasasamrakshakan.org

        --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "edwinswan" <edwinswan@...> wrote:

        > I find the statement widely repeated on the internet that Syrian
        > Christians have names for the magi: Larvandad, Hormisdas, and
        > Gushnasaph. Sometimes it is added that this is a folk tradition but
        no
        > source is given. Even folk traditions have some literary first
        > appearance. For instance, the western Christian tradition of names,
        > Balthasar, Melchior, Casper seem to start with Names: Bithisarea,
        > Melichior and Gathaspa given in a document called the Excerpta Latina
        > Barbari ~500AD
        >
        > I am looking for any written sources for the Syrian tradition as well
        > as any Syrian tales or stories about the magi? Does anyone hear have
        any
        > information?

      • Kenneth Morgan
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2006
          Thankyou Thomas

          This is just the kind of thing I am interested in. The
          use of horses seems logical. I would also imagine the
          use of mules or asses to carry supplies for such a
          journey. I read that Iran was was famous for it's
          unusually large donkeys. Marco Polo mentioned them.

          --- Thomas Daniel <ThomasDanielReji@...>