Re: help please - On the observance of lent

  • drthomas_joseph
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2006
      The Syriac Orthodox Church in the Middle East and its disaspora
      follows the Julian calendar in observing Easter and the great lent
      prior to it. The Syriac Orthodox Church in India and its diaspora
      observes Easter according to the Gregorian calendar (the switch
      happened in 1953). This year Easter falls on April 16th according to
      the Gregorian calendar and a week later according to the Julian. The
      Great Lent in the Gregorian calendar starts on the seventh Monday
      prior to Easter (In 2006, Julian - Mar 6, Gregorian - Feb 27th). (To
      learn more about the Syriac Orthodox calendar, go to
      http://sor.cua.edu/Calendar).

      Traditionally, the Church observes fasting from food from dawn until
      late afternoon and practises abstinence from all animal products
      (diary, poultry, fish and meat) during lent. Certain relaxations were
      permitted in the middle of the last century. This makes it an
      obligation for the faithful to observe strict fasting only on the
      first 10 and last 10 days as well as all Wednesdays and Fridays.
      During other days in between fish is permitted in the diet.

      Thomas Joseph
      Moderator, SOR-Forum

      --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "emadmakkar" <emadmakkar@y...> wrote:

      > hello all ,
      >
      > i hope any of the syrian orthodox here can explain to me how the
      > syrian orthodox practise the great lent , when it start ? how many
      > days ?? how you start it ? ( i mean you fast suddenly or at first
      week
      > you stop the meat only as the greek orthodox )what is your fasting
      > way ? is there is any change in the liturgy during the great lent ?
      > i hope any one here can help me in that and if there is link about
      > that could you tell me about it
      > - Thanks -

    • emadmakkar
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2006
        thanks alot ,
        but is there any change in the liturgy during the Great lent ??

        --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "drthomas_joseph"
        <thomas_joseph@...> wrote:

        > The Syriac Orthodox Church in the Middle East and its disaspora
        > follows the Julian calendar in observing Easter and the great lent
        > prior to it. The Syriac Orthodox Church in India and its diaspora
        > observes Easter according to the Gregorian calendar (the switch
        > happened in 1953). This year Easter falls on April 16th according
        > the Gregorian calendar and a week later according to the Julian.
        The
        > Great Lent in the Gregorian calendar starts on the seventh Monday
        > prior to Easter (In 2006, Julian - Mar 6, Gregorian - Feb 27th).
        > learn more about the Syriac Orthodox calendar, go to
        > http://sor.cua.edu/Calendar).
        >
        > Traditionally, the Church observes fasting from food from dawn
        until
        > late afternoon and practises abstinence from all animal products
        > (diary, poultry, fish and meat) during lent. Certain relaxations
        were
        > permitted in the middle of the last century. This makes it an
        > obligation for the faithful to observe strict fasting only on the
        > first 10 and last 10 days as well as all Wednesdays and Fridays.
        > During other days in between fish is permitted in the diet.
        >
        > Thomas Joseph
        > Moderator, SOR-Forum
        >

        > --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "emadmakkar" <emadmakkar@y...>
        wrote:

        > > hello all ,
        > >
        > > i hope any of the syrian orthodox here can explain to me how
        the
        > > syrian orthodox practise the great lent , when it start ? how
        many
        > > days ?? how you start it ? ( i mean you fast suddenly or at
        first
        > week
        > > you stop the meat only as the greek orthodox )what is your
        fasting
        > > way ? is there is any change in the liturgy during the great
        lent ?
        > > i hope any one here can help me in that and if there is link
        about
        > > that could you tell me about it
        > > - Thanks -

      • drthomas_joseph
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2006
          As for the divine liturgy there is no significant change other than
          the routine weekly changes in variable prayers & hymns and additional
          services for Palm Sunday, Holy Thursday, etc.

          As for the daily offices, special prayers for the lent are said. The
          office of Sundays are from the fanqito--the book of prayers for each
          Sunday & feasts; during lent, the lenten volume of the fanqito is used.

          Thomas Joseph

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
            is there any website for that ??