help please

  • emadmakkar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2006
      hello all ,

      i hope any of the syrian orthodox here can explain to me how the
      syrian orthodox practise the great lent , when it start ? how many
      days ?? how you start it ? ( i mean you fast suddenly or at first week
      you stop the meat only as the greek orthodox )what is your fasting
      way ? is there is any change in the liturgy during the great lent ?
      i hope any one here can help me in that and if there is link about
      that could you tell me about it
      - Thanks -
    • drthomas_joseph
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2006
        The Syriac Orthodox Church in the Middle East and its disaspora
        follows the Julian calendar in observing Easter and the great lent
        prior to it. The Syriac Orthodox Church in India and its diaspora
        observes Easter according to the Gregorian calendar (the switch
        happened in 1953). This year Easter falls on April 16th according to
        the Gregorian calendar and a week later according to the Julian. The
        Great Lent in the Gregorian calendar starts on the seventh Monday
        prior to Easter (In 2006, Julian - Mar 6, Gregorian - Feb 27th). (To
        learn more about the Syriac Orthodox calendar, go to
        http://sor.cua.edu/Calendar).

        Traditionally, the Church observes fasting from food from dawn until
        late afternoon and practises abstinence from all animal products
        (diary, poultry, fish and meat) during lent. Certain relaxations were
        permitted in the middle of the last century. This makes it an
        obligation for the faithful to observe strict fasting only on the
        first 10 and last 10 days as well as all Wednesdays and Fridays.
        During other days in between fish is permitted in the diet.

        Thomas Joseph
        Moderator, SOR-Forum

        --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "emadmakkar" <emadmakkar@y...> wrote:

        > hello all ,
        >
        > i hope any of the syrian orthodox here can explain to me how the
        > syrian orthodox practise the great lent , when it start ? how many
        > days ?? how you start it ? ( i mean you fast suddenly or at first
        week
        > you stop the meat only as the greek orthodox )what is your fasting
        > way ? is there is any change in the liturgy during the great lent ?
        > i hope any one here can help me in that and if there is link about
        > that could you tell me about it
        > - Thanks -

      • emadmakkar
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2006
          thanks alot ,
          but is there any change in the liturgy during the Great lent ??

          --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "drthomas_joseph"
          <thomas_joseph@...> wrote:

          > The Syriac Orthodox Church in the Middle East and its disaspora
          > follows the Julian calendar in observing Easter and the great lent
          > prior to it. The Syriac Orthodox Church in India and its diaspora
          > observes Easter according to the Gregorian calendar (the switch
          > happened in 1953). This year Easter falls on April 16th according
          > the Gregorian calendar and a week later according to the Julian.
          The
          > Great Lent in the Gregorian calendar starts on the seventh Monday
          > prior to Easter (In 2006, Julian - Mar 6, Gregorian - Feb 27th).
          > learn more about the Syriac Orthodox calendar, go to
          > http://sor.cua.edu/Calendar).
          >
          > Traditionally, the Church observes fasting from food from dawn
          until
          > late afternoon and practises abstinence from all animal products
          > (diary, poultry, fish and meat) during lent. Certain relaxations
          were
          > permitted in the middle of the last century. This makes it an
          > obligation for the faithful to observe strict fasting only on the
          > first 10 and last 10 days as well as all Wednesdays and Fridays.
          > During other days in between fish is permitted in the diet.
          >
          > Thomas Joseph
          > Moderator, SOR-Forum
          >

          > --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "emadmakkar" <emadmakkar@y...>
          wrote:

          > > hello all ,
          > >
          > > i hope any of the syrian orthodox here can explain to me how
          the
          > > syrian orthodox practise the great lent , when it start ? how
          many
          > > days ?? how you start it ? ( i mean you fast suddenly or at
          first
          > week
          > > you stop the meat only as the greek orthodox )what is your
          fasting
          > > way ? is there is any change in the liturgy during the great
          lent ?
          > > i hope any one here can help me in that and if there is link
          about
          > > that could you tell me about it
          > > - Thanks -

        • drthomas_joseph
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2006
            As for the divine liturgy there is no significant change other than
            the routine weekly changes in variable prayers & hymns and additional
            services for Palm Sunday, Holy Thursday, etc.

            As for the daily offices, special prayers for the lent are said. The
            office of Sundays are from the fanqito--the book of prayers for each
            Sunday & feasts; during lent, the lenten volume of the fanqito is used.

            Thomas Joseph

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
              is there any website for that ??