Re: [SORForum] Digest Number 411

  • Atas Luc
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2005
      Hano mema hawina othuroyé????

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/UwRTUD/UOnJAA/i1hLAA/m.VolB/TM

> [...]
      > the Shaleeka Cunta church
      > on the western bank of the Euphrates.
      >
      > Iraq's small Christian community has a history of
      > collaboration with the
      > powers-that-be in Baghdad, first with the British in
      > the 1920s, then with
      > Saddam's regime, which boasted the Christian Tariq
      > Aziz as one of its most
      > powerful leaders. Christians often worked in the
      > luxury business, selling
      > alcohol and running beauty parlours.
      >
      > "I have a large house and two cars," said Mr Sliwa,
      > formerly a well paid
      > government official. "We never had any trouble." But
      > the Christian community
      > in Mosul has been shaken by a wave of vicious
      > attacks, including five car
      > bombs detonated outside churches, killing more than
      > 20, in one month.
      >
      > Anti-Christian graffiti was daubed on church walls
      > and inflammatory CDs sold
      > in the market. Regular gun attacks began in
      > Christian areas of the city,
      > with several priests kidnapped and told that, as
      > Christians, they were on
      > the side of the American invaders.
      >
      > "We were used to living in hell," said Mr Sliwa.
      > Then a neighbour told him
      > that his two sons had been killed by the latest
      > attack. "My son's car was
      > 300 metres away. They were slumped in their seats,
      > covered in blood," he
      > said. "The terrorists had shot at any car in the
      > neighbourhood, knowing they
      > would kill Christians."
      >
      > Mr Sliwa and the rest of his family fled to Angkawr,
      > one of a number of
      > Christian communities in the Kurdish-protected
      > north. That evening his house
      > in Mosul was broken into and ransacked.
      >
      > Stories like his are common in Angkawr, where 150
      > families shelter from the
      > oppression and fear that forced them to flee homes
      > in Mosul, Baghdad and
      > Basra.
      >
      > They say a new breed of al-Qa'eda-inspired
      > terrorists, rather than the
      > former Ba'athists, are behind the attacks. Iraqi
      > police are powerless to
      > protect the community, say families, and US forces
      > rarely intervene, not
      > wanting to be seen to be siding with Christians and
      > thereby exposing the
      > troops to more violence.
      >
      > For their part, Christian leaders in Iraq oscillate
      > between calling the
      > attacks "ethnic cleansing" and stressing that
      > Christians are suffering along
      > with others in Iraq.
      >
      > Angkawr, a town of 35,000 people, is defended by
      > guards and concrete
      > barriers. Residents, along with the refugees, want
      > to leave the country as
      > fast as possible, with Syria, Jordan, Europe and
      > America the popular
      > destinations.
      >
      > Saed Alexis, a local business leader, said: "There
      > is not a person who
      > wouldn't leave Iraq if they could. In five years

      === message truncated ===

    • drthomas_joseph
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 17, 2005
        If you are asking, "are we Assyrians now?" I am not sure I can or
        should provide an answer. You should perhaps direct this to the news
        agencies from which the news was obtained. I have merely reproduced
        the news as published in the media. I could have replaced all
        references to Assyrians with Syrians, but the fact is that this is
        not how the news was published in the sources.

        Thomas Joseph
        Moderator

        PS: Please note that the forum policy does not permit discussion of
        ethnic identity of Syriac Orthodox Christians.

        --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, Atas Luc <l_atas@y...> wrote:

        > Hano mema hawina othuroyé????
        >
        > --- SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com a écrit :

        > > --------------------~-->
        > > Has someone you know been affected by illness or
        > > disease?
        > > Network for Good is THE place to support health
        > > awareness efforts!
        > >
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/UwRTUD/UOnJAA/i1hLAA/m.VolB/TM

        -~->

        > > There are 4 messages in this issue.
        > >
        > > Topics in this digest:
        > >
        > > 1. Christians Flee Genocide in US held Iraq
        > > From: "Thomas Joseph"
        > > <thomas_joseph@h...>
        > > 2. Turkey's Bid for EU Sparks Christian
        > > Rebirth in Turkey
        > > From: "Thomas Joseph"
        > > <thomas_joseph@h...>
        > > 3. News from the Assyrian Monastery in Midyat
        > > Turkey.
        > > From: "Thomas P" <thomas_pa1@y...>
        > > 4. Turkey Encouraging Displaced Christians to
        > > Return
        > > From: "Thomas Joseph"
        > > <thomas_joseph@h...>

        ___