Re: Hell

  • drthomas_joseph
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 2004
      Just noted the omission of the reference for the parable that I
      quoted in para 1 - Luke 16:19-31.

      Thomas Joseph

      --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "drthomas_joseph"
      <thomas_joseph@h...> wrote:

      > David -
      >
      > I am not an expert in the Syriac Orthodox view of the state of the
      > soul after separation from body until the day of judgement. My
      > understanding is that there is a separation of the wicked into
      > Gehenna (Hades) and the righteous into Paradise where they await
      the
      > day of judgement (cf. parable of the wealthy man and La`zar in );
      on
      > the last day the soul is united again with the body in the general
      > ressurection and appear before the seat of judgement where some
      will
      > inherit eternal life in heaven while others will be condemned to
      > eternal suffering in Hell.
      >
      > Both eastern and western churches have long acknowledged the
      > intermediate state and the efficacy of prayers for the dead (in
      the
      > West at least until the Reformation). Eastern churches have
      > refrained from defining this intermediate state whereas in the
      West
      > there was much more curiosity about this intermediate state. The
      > visions of Dionacrates in the 'Passion of Sts Perpetua and
      Felicity'

      <davidetamara@t...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear brothers in Christ,
      > > I have been raised as a Latin and told that souls having
      committed
      > > minor sins are purified in Purgatory before going to Paradise.
      For
      > > this reason, Latin theology distinguishes between venial sins,
      > which
      > > cause to go to Purgatory, and mortal sins, which cause to go to
      > > eternal Hell.
      > > I know this is a peculiar Latin view of afterlife.
      > > Are minor and major sins distinguished in (Oriental) Orthodoxy?
      > > If they are, what happens, according to (Oriental) Orthodoxy, to
      > > people having committed minor sins? Are they temporarily
      purified
      > in
      > > Hell?
      > > Hoping you can help me I thank you with all my heart.
      > > BaMshiho,
      > > Davide
    • wingertmike
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2004
        A related and interesting book is called "On the Soul and
        Resurrection" by St. Gregory of Nyssa.

        Another book which may help is "St. Ephraim the Syrian: Hymns on
        Paradise," by Prof. Sebastian Brock.

        MikeWingert
        St. Mary's Syrian Orthodox Church,
        Los Angeles, CA