Hell

  • Dàvide Sivèro
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23, 2004
      Dear brothers in Christ,
      I have been raised as a Latin and told that souls having committed
      minor sins are purified in Purgatory before going to Paradise. For
      this reason, Latin theology distinguishes between venial sins, which
      cause to go to Purgatory, and mortal sins, which cause to go to
      eternal Hell.
      I know this is a peculiar Latin view of afterlife.
      Are minor and major sins distinguished in (Oriental) Orthodoxy?
      If they are, what happens, according to (Oriental) Orthodoxy, to
      people having committed minor sins? Are they temporarily purified in
      Hell?
      Hoping you can help me I thank you with all my heart.
      BaMshiho,
      Davide
    • drthomas_joseph
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 23, 2004
        David -

        I am not an expert in the Syriac Orthodox view of the state of the
        soul after separation from body until the day of judgement. My
        understanding is that there is a separation of the wicked into
        Gehenna (Hades) and the righteous into Paradise where they await the
        day of judgement (cf. parable of the wealthy man and La`zar in ); on
        the last day the soul is united again with the body in the general
        ressurection and appear before the seat of judgement where some will
        inherit eternal life in heaven while others will be condemned to
        eternal suffering in Hell.

        Both eastern and western churches have long acknowledged the
        intermediate state and the efficacy of prayers for the dead (in the
        West at least until the Reformation). Eastern churches have
        refrained from defining this intermediate state whereas in the West
        there was much more curiosity about this intermediate state. The
        visions of Dionacrates in the 'Passion of Sts Perpetua and Felicity'
        (AD 203) give expression to the belief that sins can be purged by
        suffering an afterlife and that the process can be accelerated by
        prayer. St Augustine's comments on the purifying fire after death
        and the value of prayers for those who died in communion with the
        Church inspired further thoughts on this matter by St Gregory the
        Great, Thomas Aquinas and Dante among others. 1 Cor 3:11-15 was
        invoked to support the notion of the purifying fire. However, it was
        only in the Councils of Lyon (1274) and Florence (1439) that the
        purgatory became part of the official dogma of the Roman Catholic
        Church. (see Oxford Dictionary of Christian Church, 1997).

        The concept of Purgatory continues to divide the Roman Catholic
        Church from the Eastern Churches. The Syriac Orthodox church offers
        prayers for its faithful departed which she believes finds favor in
        the eyes of G-d and in the remission of sins at the day of
        judgement; however, the Church takes the attitude that these are
        mysteries that are not for mortals to inquire and define.

        Thomas Joseph
        Moderator, SOR-Forum

        PS: I welcome scholars of the Syriac Orthodox theology to correct me
        if I have erred in my understanding of the Church's teaching.

        --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, Dàvide Sivèro <davidetamara@t...>
        wrote:

        > Dear brothers in Christ,
        > I have been raised as a Latin and told that souls having committed
        > minor sins are purified in Purgatory before going to Paradise. For
        > this reason, Latin theology distinguishes between venial sins,
        which
        > cause to go to Purgatory, and mortal sins, which cause to go to
        > eternal Hell.
        > I know this is a peculiar Latin view of afterlife.
        > Are minor and major sins distinguished in (Oriental) Orthodoxy?
        > If they are, what happens, according to (Oriental) Orthodoxy, to
        > people having committed minor sins? Are they temporarily purified
        in
        > Hell?
        > Hoping you can help me I thank you with all my heart.
        > BaMshiho,
        > Davide
      • drthomas_joseph
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 24, 2004
          Just noted the omission of the reference for the parable that I
          quoted in para 1 - Luke 16:19-31.

          Thomas Joseph

          --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, "drthomas_joseph"
          <thomas_joseph@h...> wrote:

> [...]
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear brothers in Christ,
          > > I have been raised as a Latin and told that souls having
          committed
          > > minor sins are purified in Purgatory before going to Paradise.
          For
          > > this reason, Latin theology distinguishes between venial sins,
          > which
          > > cause to go to Purgatory, and mortal sins, which cause to go to
          > > eternal Hell.
          > > I know this is a peculiar Latin view of afterlife.
          > > Are minor and major sins distinguished in (Oriental) Orthodoxy?
          > > If they are, what happens, according to (Oriental) Orthodoxy, to
          > > people having committed minor sins? Are they temporarily
          purified
          > in
          > > Hell?
          > > Hoping you can help me I thank you with all my heart.
        • wingertmike
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 25, 2004
            A related and interesting book is called "On the Soul and
            Resurrection" by St. Gregory of Nyssa.

            Another book which may help is "St. Ephraim the Syrian: Hymns on
            Paradise," by Prof. Sebastian Brock.

            MikeWingert
            St. Mary's Syrian Orthodox Church,
            Los Angeles, CA