Syrian Orthodox Church also included in the latest blast in Baghdad

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2004
      Muslims on the west side of Baghdad also expressed shock at another
      attack which targeted the Saint Thomas Syrian Orthodox church in the
      affluent Mansour area.

      "I do not think an Iraqi who would do this," said Ahmed Nazem,with
      his wife stood nearby still in her slippers and night gown.

      "If it was an Iraqi then he must be completely brainwashed because I
      see no
      reason or purpose for such a horrible act."

      The facade of Saint Thomas was completely blown away in what
      appeared to be
      a drop-and-run attack similar to the one that targeted the four
      other churches.

      Scraps of red velvet drapes that used to adorn the front windows lay
      under heaps of concrete.

      "People, it is only stone, we will rebuild it again," said an
      elderly man who identified himself as Milad while labourers around
      him carried out pews and rolled-up carpets from inside the church.

      Grief-stricken parishioners gathered in the courtyard, where a woman
      crossed herself before rushing in tears towards Dina Khalil, the
      priest's wife. "I am fine, fine," said a tearful Khalil, who was
      with her husband at their home next to the church at the time of the
      blast.

      She said she felt the whole house shake from the power of the blast
      which shattered all the windows.

      A few blocks another church, Saint Joseph, was hit with a home-made
      bomb that caused minor damage to the facade.

      "Muslims and Christians have been living here in harmony for
      hundreds of years," said Father Gabriel Shamami.

      "I don't think Iraqis would do this especially during Ramadan."

      Two other churches in the southern Doura district were also targeted
      with homemade bombs that caused some damage, according to Father
      Faris Toma of Saint Paul and Peter church in the same area.

      Source: http://www.turkishpress.com/sections/world/ October 17 2004-
      10-17

      Posted By
      Thomas Daniel (Reji)