Open Invitation to Celebrate the Syriac Digital Library Project

  • George Kiraz (BM)
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      OPEN INVITATION.

      I am writing to invite you to celebrate with us the completion of the
      digitization of Syriac books (Phase 1) for eBethArké: The Syriac Digital
      Library. The celebration will take place on October 7 (Thursday) at 4:00
      P.M. at The Catholic University of America, Washington D.C. Please RSVP by
      October 5 so we know how many people will be there.

      Last January our Institute was informed by The Catholic University of
      America (CUA) that we can now go ahead and digitize from their collection
      books related to Syriac studies for inclusion in our Syriac Digital Library
      Project. We were given a window of 5 months to complete this task as the
      library is under major renovation. Within a short period of time, we had to
      come up with the money to purchase expensive equipment, hire staff, and
      carry out the digitization task. Through your generous contributions we
      managed to collect the necessary funds and we executed the plan most
      efficiently. 511 materials have been scanned which are about 53,745 images
      making up nearly 100,000 pages. These scanned materials consist of many
      books and reading material.

      In addition to the operation at CUA, we also managed to digitize 110 books
      from my own library. We have plans to digitize many number of books and
      manuscripts from private sources.

      Our current challenge is to process all the scanned images and fashion from
      them an online digital library. As this is a rather demanding task on its
      own, we plan to devote the rest of this year and first half of next year to
      it. Despite these challenges on the horizon, we are certain to attain a
      fruitful outcome which will result in the largest digital collection of all
      printed matter in and of Syriac, in addition to many manuscripts.

      The Syriac Institute thanks sincerely all those who contributed to turn this
      project into a reality.

      Please RSVP by October 5.

      George Kiraz

      <http://www.bethmardutho.org/sponsors/ebetharke/> Support The Syriac
      Digital Library

      You can find more information regarding The Syriac Digital Library Project
      and Beth Mardutho's efforts in preserving Syriac heritage in our "Appeal
      Newsletter". Read it in HTML <http://www.bethmardutho.org/appeal2004.php>
      or PDF <http://www.bethmardutho.org/files/appeal2004.pdf> .

      George A. Kiraz, M.St. (Oxon), M.Phil., Ph.D. (Cantab)

      Director

      Beth Mardutho: The Syriac Institute

      46 Orris Ave., Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA

      Tel. +1 732-699-0343. Fax. +1 732-699-0342

      Fellow of the Institute of Christian Oriental Research, The Catholic
      University of America