Bible question

  • Sevile George
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2004
      I wanted to know what is considered the canon for the
      old testament for the Syrian Orthodox Church.

      The Protestant Bibles contain 39 books; Catholic
      Bibles contain 46 books (includes Macabees 1 & 2, and
      other books); finally, the Eastern Orthodox Bibles
      contain more books than the Catholic Bibles (includes
      Maccabees 3, an extra Psalm, and other books).

      Does the Syrian Orthodox Church maintain one of the
      above canons in its Bible, or does in have a different
      canon? Also, would anyone know if this canon is also
      followed by the other Oriental Orthodox Churches?
      Finally, is their a specific English translation of
      the Bible that the Church considers ideal?

      Thank you,
      Sevile.

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • Paul Reji
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 8, 2004
        I thought Dr. Thomas would reply for this. Any way this is my try.
        From the book "Dotrine of Syrian orthodox church"- Rev. Dr. Curian
        Kaniyamparambil

        OT Books

        1) Books of Moses - 5
        2) Judges - 1
        3) Samuel - 2
        4) Chronicles - 2
        5) Macabees - 2
        6) Books of Prophets-16
        7) Joshua - 1
        8) Ruth - 1
        9) Kings - 2
        10 Esra & Nehamiah - 2
        11)Job -1
        12)Solomn's -4

        Notes :Solomon has 4 because proverbs are regarded as 2 books
        proverbs 25:1 onwords is considered as 2nd proverbs.
        16 books by Prpophets also includes susanna in the book of
        Daniel.

        But St.Athnatious, Dynatious of Alexndria etc has raised some doubt
        about some and restricted the used of some others

        They are
        1) Wisdom of Solomon
        2) Bar Azeera
        3) Esther
        4) Judith
        5) Tobit

        But in his H.Bible the following books are added

        1) Tobit
        2) Judith
        3) Esther
        4) Yeshu Bar assirai