Re: Alimentary prohibitions in Christianity

  • Dàvide Sivèro
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2004
      Dear brother in Christ, I thank you with all my heart for your
      answer!
      In Judaism there is a set of rules which say when something (ex. a
      kitchen vessel) absorbs "taref" (=which must not be eaten)
      substance. For ex. hot wet taref food istantaneously is absorbed
      into a vessel when it touches it, and "kasher" (=which can be eaten)
      food istantaneously becomes taref when it is wet, hot and touches a
      vessel having absorbed taref food. Taref substances having been
      absorbed by for ex. a kitchen vessel can sometimes been removed
      depending on what the vessel is made of: for ex. taref absorbed
      substance cannot be removed from earthenware vessels but can be
      removed from metal vessels by boiling them.
      It seems to me that such absorption rules do not apply to the few
      alimentary prohibitions of Christianity (ex. to vessel having
      touched hot wet idolatrous sacrifical meat; I also suspect
      that "Oriental" Orthodoxy forbids to eat blood as "Byzantine"
      Orthodoxy does...), am I right?
      Thank you all!!!
      BaMshi'ho,
      Davide