Alimentary prohibitions in Christianity

  • Dàvide Sivèro
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6 11:23 AM
      Dear brothers in Christ,
      as you probably know Judaism has a set of rules about the absorption
      of food into vessel and into other food which imply the prohibition
      of eating permitted (kasher) food having absorbed either from
      forbidden (taref) food or from something having absorbed from
      forbidden food: for ex. kasher wet hot food, that touches an
      earthenware plate that touched wet hot forbidden food, becomes
      forbidden.
      I suppose that such rules about absorption do not apply to the few
      alimentary prohibitions of (Oriental Orthodox) Christianity (food
      sacrificed to idols etc.), am I right?
      Hoping that you can help me I thank you with all my heart.
      May God reward and bless you.
      BaMshi'ho,
      Davide
    • drthomas_joseph
      Message 2 of 3 , May 17 10:40 PM
        Dàvide -

        I am unaware of the rules you allude to. However, in Kerala (India)
        until about 75 years ago, it was customary at the beginning of the
        periods of lent among the Syrian Orthodox to keep aside any vessels
        used in the cooking of non-vegetarian food and use special
        earthenware for lenten food preparation. I am not sure of the origins
        of the practice and whether such a custom was indigenous or
        originated from the church in the Near East.

        Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
        Moderator, SOR-Forum

        --- In SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com, Dàvide Sivèro <davidetamara@t...>
        wrote:
        > Dear brothers in Christ,
        > as you probably know Judaism has a set of rules about the
        absorption
        > of food into vessel and into other food which imply the prohibition
        > of eating permitted (kasher) food having absorbed either from
        > forbidden (taref) food or from something having absorbed from
        > forbidden food: for ex. kasher wet hot food, that touches an
        > earthenware plate that touched wet hot forbidden food, becomes
        > forbidden.
        > I suppose that such rules about absorption do not apply to the few
        > alimentary prohibitions of (Oriental Orthodox) Christianity (food
        > sacrificed to idols etc.), am I right?
        > Hoping that you can help me I thank you with all my heart.
        > May God reward and bless you.
        > BaMshi'ho,
        > Davide
      • Dàvide Sivèro
        Message 3 of 3 , May 18 4:14 AM
          Dear brother in Christ, I thank you with all my heart for your
          answer!
          In Judaism there is a set of rules which say when something (ex. a
          kitchen vessel) absorbs "taref" (=which must not be eaten)
          substance. For ex. hot wet taref food istantaneously is absorbed
          into a vessel when it touches it, and "kasher" (=which can be eaten)
          food istantaneously becomes taref when it is wet, hot and touches a
          vessel having absorbed taref food. Taref substances having been
          absorbed by for ex. a kitchen vessel can sometimes been removed
          depending on what the vessel is made of: for ex. taref absorbed
          substance cannot be removed from earthenware vessels but can be
          removed from metal vessels by boiling them.
          It seems to me that such absorption rules do not apply to the few
          alimentary prohibitions of Christianity (ex. to vessel having
          touched hot wet idolatrous sacrifical meat; I also suspect
          that "Oriental" Orthodoxy forbids to eat blood as "Byzantine"
          Orthodoxy does...), am I right?
          Thank you all!!!
          BaMshi'ho,
          Davide