RE: [SORForum] Jesus is a Jew

  • Sarkessian, Gary A
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 27, 2004

      His mother was a Jew.  John the Forerunner was a Jew.  St. Paul was a Jew.  St. John the Evangelist was a Jew.

      I have never heard anyone until today say that Jesus was not a Jew.

      Garabed A. Sarkessian

      The Apostolic, Catholic, Orthodox, Holy Church of Armenia

      Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

      USA

      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2004
        Steve,

        > God the Son became man, He became a Jewish man. His
        > Person is God the Son but he has a human nature- male
        > and Jewish Semitic Caucasian .

        This statement is theologically unsound. The Orthodox Church Fathers
        unanimously hold that Christ was a single person (hupostasis) possessing two
        natures, divine and human. His human nature was not the specific,
        individual nature of a single man; rather, as God-man, the New Adam, Christ
        united the totality of human nature with divinity in His single hupostasis.
        You are, of course, correct that the God-man existed in the 'person'
        (prosopon) of a Jewish man at a particular time in history, but as St.
        Athanasius affirms (in his De incarnatione), He never stopped functioning as
        the Logos holding the universe together by the power of His divine will. We
        know from the New Testament that Christ unites all of humanity in His
        person, so that we are no longer able to make distinctions between Jew and
        Greek (Gentile), male and female, slave and free, etc. Further, as the
        Epistle to the Hebrews tells us, Christ is eternally the same. He never
        actually became a Jewish man; He simply assumed the role of one for the
        purpose of establishing the Kingdom of God and the New Coveneant in a manner
        that transcends ethnic division. This He could not have accomplished, I
        posit, if He did not possess the totality of human nature -- including Jews
        but all other races as well -- in His person.

        Perhaps we will understand each other better if we invoke the ancient
        Sophistic distinction between nature (phusis) and convention (nomos). Can
        we agree that Christ was a Jew by covnention, but not by nature?

        > The first Gospel to be written was Mathew which was
        > written in Aranmaic Syrian as it was addressed to
        > Aramaic speaking Syrian and Jewish Christians.

        This is incorrect. The first Gospel to be written was Mark, and the
        language of composition was Greek. I know of no archaeological or
        manuscript evidence supporting the theory that the Gospels were originally
        composed in Aramaic, or any other language but Greek. Cf. Paul N. Tarazi,
        _The New Testament: Introduction_, vol. 1, Paul and Mark (Crestwood, NY: St.
        Vladimir's Seminary Press 1999). On the original language of the Gospels
        consult the various studies by Jaroslav Pelikan, for example.

        That said, as an editor of the Orthodox journal _Theandros_, I invite you,
        Steve, or anyone interested to submit an article arguing in favor of a
        theory of original Aramaic composition. Please see the link in my signature
        for information on submitting, should you be so inclined.

        In Christ,

        Edward

        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Edward Moore, S.T.L., Ph.D. (candidate)
        St. Elias School of Orthodox Theology
        E-mail: emoore@...
        Homepage: www.theandros.com/emoore

        Theandros: An Online Journal of
        Orthodox Christian Theology and
        Philosophy
        www.theandros.com
        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      • Edward Moore
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2004
          Davide,

          You wrote:

          "I suspect that our dear friend and brother in Christ Steve unproperly
          mixed hate against the Jews, hate against the Americans, hate against
          current American politics, hate against Israeli politics, hate
          against the death of innocent Arab people etc., but I wanted to share
          with him the thought that the Jews, as well as deserving the utmost
          respect as every other people created by God, can't be hated by any
          Christian who believes that God chose to incarnate as a Jewish man."

          "Hate" is a strong word, and I would be slow to accuse anyone of hatred,
          especially someone like Steve, whom I know only through my limited contact
          with him on this list -- which is to say I don't know him at all. E-mail
          forums are notoriously conducive to mis-understanding, and so I always try
          to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

          That said, I certainly agree with you: hatred is not to be tolerated by
          Christians, against anyone. However, we are permitted righteous
          indignation. And I am personally indignant over current Israeli policies,
          as well as the policies of the administration of my country, the United
          States. Indignation is an intellectual comportment; hatred is the reaction
          of the ignorant. Steve is certainly not ignorant, so let us speak of his --
          and my own (assuming I can be spared the label of ignoramus) -- indignation.

          In Christ,

          Edward
        • Steve Dennehy
          Message 4 of 14 , May 2, 2004
            Davide,

            Wasn't Clement of Alexandria an Egyptian who wrote in
            Greek ? Greek was the language used to transmit the
            New Testament and was the main language used by the
            Fathers of the Church up to about 800 for the
            non-Greeks.
            Most Greeks are not Christians; the rate of practise
            among Greek nominal Christians is about 1/3 in Geece
            and the diaspora. Greece like almost all of Europe is
            an ex-Christian nation which legalized the murder of
            the human person in the womb by abortion in 1983.

            I have read a great deal in the Fathers for the past
            26 years, though I'm certainly no expert on the
            Fathers. I like to read all of them-Jewish, Syrian,
            Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Armenian, Ethiopian, Persian,
            Indian, Georgian, Irish, Spanish, etc. The Church of
            Our Lord Yshua Messiah is universal and contains
            members of every nation, race and tongue on the globe.
            In Trinity, our God,
            Steve

          • Steve Dennehy
            Message 5 of 14 , May 2, 2004
              Davide,
              Jesus is a Jew, Jesus is a man--God as man and will
              always be a man, a Divine man. Otherwise you end up
              denying the Incarnation. "What is not assumed is not
              redeemed" (I think it was St. Athanasius who said
              that.). God the Son did not becaome man, then
              transcend being a man, cease being a man. He restored
              His human nature to a pre-fallen state in His glorious
              resurrection, restoring our human nature in His. He
              ascended into the Father, deifying His human nature
              and deifying our human nature in His. In the
              Ascension His human nature becomes Divine, it does not
              cease to exist.
              In Yeshua, the Divine Jew,
              Steve
              --- D�vide Siv�ro <davidetamara@...> wrote:
              > Jesus was not and is not a Jew! He was incarnated
              > as a Jewish man
              >
              > -I meant that.
              >
              > > Moreover, the Gospels were written in Greek, not
              > Hebrew
              >
              > -Lots of scholars say that at least Mor Mattay's
              > Gospel was written
              > either in Aramaic or Hebrew, isn't that true? Anyhow
              > I think it isn't
              > a matter of dogma...
              > The Greek Orthodox tradition says that the Aramaic
              > or Hebrew parts of
              > the New Testament were immediately translated into
              > Greek under the
              > guidance of the Ru'ho Qadisho.
              > BaMshi'ho,
              > Davide

            • Thomas P
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2004
                I think this forum should encourage messages related to Syriac
                resources and Orthodox church in general. Issues about ethnicity etc.
                can be discussed on other relevant forums.

                - Thomas
              • Steve Dennehy
                Message 7 of 14 , May 3, 2004
                  Edward,
                  Jesus, from His conception in an egg in the womb of
                  the All-Holy Virgin Miriam is Spirit-Soul-Body, as are
                  all human persons.
                  His Spirit is His Person, His "I" (God the
                  Son/Word/Image), eternal and Divine.
                  His Soul is perfect universal, but at the same time
                  is unique and individual.
                  His Body is male and ethnically Jewish Semitic
                  Caucasian.
                  He is One Lord Yeshua Messiah (Jesus Christ).

                  You state this correctly when you say He is a single
                  hypostasis (Person).

                  Your statement that"He never actually became a Jewish
                  man, He just assumed the role of one for the purpose
                  of establishing the Kingdom of God..." strikes me as
                  Nestorian and Gnostic. You seem to be denying the
                  Incarnation altogether. I don't undertsand how you
                  could read St. Athanasius and come to that conclusion.

                  The tradition in the Church from ancient times is that
                  the Gospels are arranged in chronological order, in
                  the order in which they were written. The Tradition
                  is that Mathew's was addressed to the Aramaic-Syriac
                  speaking Jewish and Syrian Christians, Luke to the
                  Greek speaking Christians and Mark to the Latin
                  speaking Christians.

                  It is always a mistake to subvert theology to
                  philosophy. It is always a mistake to subvert God to
                  theology. Dogmas are boundaries; they tell us where
                  to go, where not to go. But dogmas are not God,
                  statements about God are not God. ONLY GOD IS GOD.
                  God is Father-Jesus-Spirit, One in Essence and
                  undivided.
                  In Him,
                  Steve
                  --- Edward Moore <emoore@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > was Mark, and the
                  > language of composition was Greek. I know of no
                  > archaeological or
                  > manuscript evidence supporting the theory that the
                  > Gospels were originally
                  > composed in Aramaic, or any other language but
                  > Greek. Cf. Paul N. Tarazi,
                  > _The New Testament: Introduction_, vol. 1, Paul and
                  > Mark (Crestwood, NY: St.
                  > Vladimir's Seminary Press 1999). On the original
                  > language of the Gospels
                  > consult the various studies by Jaroslav Pelikan, for
                  > example.
                  >
                  > That said, as an editor of the Orthodox journal
                  > _Theandros_, I invite you,
                  > Steve, or anyone interested to submit an article
                  > arguing in favor of a
                  > theory of original Aramaic composition. Please see
                  > the link in my signature
                  > for information on submitting, should you be so

                • Steve Dennehy
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 8, 2004
                    Thomas,

                    We are not discussing ethnicity, we are discussing the
                    Person of Lord Jesus Christ--the point of the Syrian
                    Orthodox Church and of any believing Christian.
                    Steve
                    --- Thomas P <thomas_pa1@...> wrote:
                    > I think this forum should encourage messages related
                    > to Syriac
                    > resources and Orthodox church in general. Issues
                    > about ethnicity etc.
                    > can be discussed on other relevant forums.
                    >
                    > - Thomas

                  • Rajesh George
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 10, 2004

                      Dear Brothers in Christ

                                  Do you feel that the most important aspect about our life is we need to inherit the kingdom of GOD ?  We need to enjoy the LOVE of Jesus in our practical lifes.

                      That’s is most important for us than about the theological aspects  of  our Lord.

                      Thanks for all