RE: [SORForum] Jesus is a Jew

  • Sarkessian, Gary A
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 27, 2004

      His mother was a Jew.  John the Forerunner was a Jew.  St. Paul was a Jew.  St. John the Evangelist was a Jew.

      I have never heard anyone until today say that Jesus was not a Jew.

      Garabed A. Sarkessian

      The Apostolic, Catholic, Orthodox, Holy Church of Armenia

      Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

      USA

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 27, 2004
        Jesus was not and is not a Jew! He was incarnated as a Jewish man

        -I meant that.

        > Moreover, the Gospels were written in Greek, not Hebrew

        -Lots of scholars say that at least Mor Mattay's Gospel was written
        either in Aramaic or Hebrew, isn't that true? Anyhow I think it isn't
        a matter of dogma...
        The Greek Orthodox tradition says that the Aramaic or Hebrew parts of
        the New Testament were immediately translated into Greek under the
        guidance of the Ru'ho Qadisho.
        BaMshi'ho,
        Davide
      • Edward Moore
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2004
          Steve,

          > God the Son became man, He became a Jewish man. His
          > Person is God the Son but he has a human nature- male
          > and Jewish Semitic Caucasian .

          This statement is theologically unsound. The Orthodox Church Fathers
          unanimously hold that Christ was a single person (hupostasis) possessing two
          natures, divine and human. His human nature was not the specific,
          individual nature of a single man; rather, as God-man, the New Adam, Christ
          united the totality of human nature with divinity in His single hupostasis.
          You are, of course, correct that the God-man existed in the 'person'
          (prosopon) of a Jewish man at a particular time in history, but as St.
          Athanasius affirms (in his De incarnatione), He never stopped functioning as
          the Logos holding the universe together by the power of His divine will. We
          know from the New Testament that Christ unites all of humanity in His
          person, so that we are no longer able to make distinctions between Jew and
          Greek (Gentile), male and female, slave and free, etc. Further, as the
          Epistle to the Hebrews tells us, Christ is eternally the same. He never
          actually became a Jewish man; He simply assumed the role of one for the
          purpose of establishing the Kingdom of God and the New Coveneant in a manner
          that transcends ethnic division. This He could not have accomplished, I
          posit, if He did not possess the totality of human nature -- including Jews
          but all other races as well -- in His person.

          Perhaps we will understand each other better if we invoke the ancient
          Sophistic distinction between nature (phusis) and convention (nomos). Can
          we agree that Christ was a Jew by covnention, but not by nature?

          > The first Gospel to be written was Mathew which was
          > written in Aranmaic Syrian as it was addressed to
          > Aramaic speaking Syrian and Jewish Christians.

          This is incorrect. The first Gospel to be written was Mark, and the
          language of composition was Greek. I know of no archaeological or
          manuscript evidence supporting the theory that the Gospels were originally
          composed in Aramaic, or any other language but Greek. Cf. Paul N. Tarazi,
          _The New Testament: Introduction_, vol. 1, Paul and Mark (Crestwood, NY: St.
          Vladimir's Seminary Press 1999). On the original language of the Gospels
          consult the various studies by Jaroslav Pelikan, for example.

          That said, as an editor of the Orthodox journal _Theandros_, I invite you,
          Steve, or anyone interested to submit an article arguing in favor of a
          theory of original Aramaic composition. Please see the link in my signature
          for information on submitting, should you be so inclined.

          In Christ,

          Edward

          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Edward Moore, S.T.L., Ph.D. (candidate)
          St. Elias School of Orthodox Theology
          E-mail: emoore@...
          Homepage: www.theandros.com/emoore

          Theandros: An Online Journal of
          Orthodox Christian Theology and
          Philosophy
          www.theandros.com
          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        • Edward Moore
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2004
            Davide,

            You wrote:

            "I suspect that our dear friend and brother in Christ Steve unproperly
            mixed hate against the Jews, hate against the Americans, hate against
            current American politics, hate against Israeli politics, hate
            against the death of innocent Arab people etc., but I wanted to share
            with him the thought that the Jews, as well as deserving the utmost
            respect as every other people created by God, can't be hated by any
            Christian who believes that God chose to incarnate as a Jewish man."

            "Hate" is a strong word, and I would be slow to accuse anyone of hatred,
            especially someone like Steve, whom I know only through my limited contact
            with him on this list -- which is to say I don't know him at all. E-mail
            forums are notoriously conducive to mis-understanding, and so I always try
            to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

            That said, I certainly agree with you: hatred is not to be tolerated by
            Christians, against anyone. However, we are permitted righteous
            indignation. And I am personally indignant over current Israeli policies,
            as well as the policies of the administration of my country, the United
            States. Indignation is an intellectual comportment; hatred is the reaction
            of the ignorant. Steve is certainly not ignorant, so let us speak of his --
            and my own (assuming I can be spared the label of ignoramus) -- indignation.

            In Christ,

            Edward
          • Steve Dennehy
            Message 5 of 14 , May 2, 2004
              Davide,

              Wasn't Clement of Alexandria an Egyptian who wrote in
              Greek ? Greek was the language used to transmit the
              New Testament and was the main language used by the
              Fathers of the Church up to about 800 for the
              non-Greeks.
              Most Greeks are not Christians; the rate of practise
              among Greek nominal Christians is about 1/3 in Geece
              and the diaspora. Greece like almost all of Europe is
              an ex-Christian nation which legalized the murder of
              the human person in the womb by abortion in 1983.

              I have read a great deal in the Fathers for the past
              26 years, though I'm certainly no expert on the
              Fathers. I like to read all of them-Jewish, Syrian,
              Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Armenian, Ethiopian, Persian,
              Indian, Georgian, Irish, Spanish, etc. The Church of
              Our Lord Yshua Messiah is universal and contains
              members of every nation, race and tongue on the globe.
              In Trinity, our God,
              Steve

            • Steve Dennehy
              Message 6 of 14 , May 2, 2004
                Davide,
                Jesus is a Jew, Jesus is a man--God as man and will
                always be a man, a Divine man. Otherwise you end up
                denying the Incarnation. "What is not assumed is not
                redeemed" (I think it was St. Athanasius who said
                that.). God the Son did not becaome man, then
                transcend being a man, cease being a man. He restored
                His human nature to a pre-fallen state in His glorious
                resurrection, restoring our human nature in His. He
                ascended into the Father, deifying His human nature
                and deifying our human nature in His. In the
                Ascension His human nature becomes Divine, it does not
                cease to exist.
                In Yeshua, the Divine Jew,
                Steve
                --- D�vide Siv�ro <davidetamara@...> wrote:
                > Jesus was not and is not a Jew! He was incarnated
                > as a Jewish man
                >
                > -I meant that.
                >
                > > Moreover, the Gospels were written in Greek, not
                > Hebrew
                >
                > -Lots of scholars say that at least Mor Mattay's
                > Gospel was written
                > either in Aramaic or Hebrew, isn't that true? Anyhow
                > I think it isn't
                > a matter of dogma...
                > The Greek Orthodox tradition says that the Aramaic
                > or Hebrew parts of
                > the New Testament were immediately translated into
                > Greek under the
                > guidance of the Ru'ho Qadisho.
                > BaMshi'ho,
                > Davide

              • Thomas P
                Message 7 of 14 , May 3, 2004
                  I think this forum should encourage messages related to Syriac
                  resources and Orthodox church in general. Issues about ethnicity etc.
                  can be discussed on other relevant forums.

                  - Thomas
                • Steve Dennehy
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3, 2004
                    Edward,
                    Jesus, from His conception in an egg in the womb of
                    the All-Holy Virgin Miriam is Spirit-Soul-Body, as are
                    all human persons.
                    His Spirit is His Person, His "I" (God the
                    Son/Word/Image), eternal and Divine.
                    His Soul is perfect universal, but at the same time
                    is unique and individual.
                    His Body is male and ethnically Jewish Semitic
                    Caucasian.
                    He is One Lord Yeshua Messiah (Jesus Christ).

                    You state this correctly when you say He is a single
                    hypostasis (Person).

                    Your statement that"He never actually became a Jewish
                    man, He just assumed the role of one for the purpose
                    of establishing the Kingdom of God..." strikes me as
                    Nestorian and Gnostic. You seem to be denying the
                    Incarnation altogether. I don't undertsand how you
                    could read St. Athanasius and come to that conclusion.

                    The tradition in the Church from ancient times is that
                    the Gospels are arranged in chronological order, in
                    the order in which they were written. The Tradition
                    is that Mathew's was addressed to the Aramaic-Syriac
                    speaking Jewish and Syrian Christians, Luke to the
                    Greek speaking Christians and Mark to the Latin
                    speaking Christians.

                    It is always a mistake to subvert theology to
                    philosophy. It is always a mistake to subvert God to
                    theology. Dogmas are boundaries; they tell us where
                    to go, where not to go. But dogmas are not God,
                    statements about God are not God. ONLY GOD IS GOD.
                    God is Father-Jesus-Spirit, One in Essence and
                    undivided.
                    In Him,
                    Steve
                    --- Edward Moore <emoore@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > was Mark, and the
                    > language of composition was Greek. I know of no
                    > archaeological or
                    > manuscript evidence supporting the theory that the
                    > Gospels were originally
                    > composed in Aramaic, or any other language but
                    > Greek. Cf. Paul N. Tarazi,
                    > _The New Testament: Introduction_, vol. 1, Paul and
                    > Mark (Crestwood, NY: St.
                    > Vladimir's Seminary Press 1999). On the original
                    > language of the Gospels
                    > consult the various studies by Jaroslav Pelikan, for
                    > example.
                    >
                    > That said, as an editor of the Orthodox journal
                    > _Theandros_, I invite you,
                    > Steve, or anyone interested to submit an article
                    > arguing in favor of a
                    > theory of original Aramaic composition. Please see
                    > the link in my signature
                    > for information on submitting, should you be so

                  • Steve Dennehy
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 8, 2004
                      Thomas,

                      We are not discussing ethnicity, we are discussing the
                      Person of Lord Jesus Christ--the point of the Syrian
                      Orthodox Church and of any believing Christian.
                      Steve
                      --- Thomas P <thomas_pa1@...> wrote:
                      > I think this forum should encourage messages related
                      > to Syriac
                      > resources and Orthodox church in general. Issues
                      > about ethnicity etc.
                      > can be discussed on other relevant forums.
                      >
                      > - Thomas

                    • Rajesh George
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 10, 2004

                        Dear Brothers in Christ

                                    Do you feel that the most important aspect about our life is we need to inherit the kingdom of GOD ?  We need to enjoy the LOVE of Jesus in our practical lifes.

                        That’s is most important for us than about the theological aspects  of  our Lord.

                        Thanks for all