RE: [SORForum] Jesus is a Jew

  • Sarkessian, Gary A
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 27 4:16 AM

      His mother was a Jew.  John the Forerunner was a Jew.  St. Paul was a Jew.  St. John the Evangelist was a Jew.

      I have never heard anyone until today say that Jesus was not a Jew.

      Garabed A. Sarkessian

      The Apostolic, Catholic, Orthodox, Holy Church of Armenia

      Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

      USA

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 27 10:05 AM
        Jesus was not and is not a Jew! He was incarnated as a Jewish man

        -I meant that.

        > Moreover, the Gospels were written in Greek, not Hebrew

        -Lots of scholars say that at least Mor Mattay's Gospel was written
        either in Aramaic or Hebrew, isn't that true? Anyhow I think it isn't
        a matter of dogma...
        The Greek Orthodox tradition says that the Aramaic or Hebrew parts of
        the New Testament were immediately translated into Greek under the
        guidance of the Ru'ho Qadisho.
        BaMshi'ho,
        Davide
      • Dàvide Sivèro
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 27 10:37 AM
          > The Arabs, Muslim and Christian, of Israel are full
          > citizens of the State of Israel and are about 20% of
          > the population.

          -But they are often regarded as second class citizens, as even non-Ashkenazi
          Jewish Israelis are.

          > It isn't money worship that causes us to send our sons
          > and daughters to Iraq, it was to rid Irag, the Middle
          > East and the world of a very evil dictator

          -I fear that most wars aren't charity...

          You would never accuse our nation

          -No, dear friend and brother in Christ, I don't accuse a nation, a people at
          all. I do accuse a kind of politics.

          Americans are not perfect, we are good
          > and evil like all people but you folks are intent on
          > painitng us as all-evil and yourselves as all-good.
          > Both are lies.

          -You are right!
          BaMshi'ho,
          Davide
        • Edward Moore
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2004
            Steve,

            > God the Son became man, He became a Jewish man. His
            > Person is God the Son but he has a human nature- male
            > and Jewish Semitic Caucasian .

            This statement is theologically unsound. The Orthodox Church Fathers
            unanimously hold that Christ was a single person (hupostasis) possessing two
            natures, divine and human. His human nature was not the specific,
            individual nature of a single man; rather, as God-man, the New Adam, Christ
            united the totality of human nature with divinity in His single hupostasis.
            You are, of course, correct that the God-man existed in the 'person'
            (prosopon) of a Jewish man at a particular time in history, but as St.
            Athanasius affirms (in his De incarnatione), He never stopped functioning as
            the Logos holding the universe together by the power of His divine will. We
            know from the New Testament that Christ unites all of humanity in His
            person, so that we are no longer able to make distinctions between Jew and
            Greek (Gentile), male and female, slave and free, etc. Further, as the
            Epistle to the Hebrews tells us, Christ is eternally the same. He never
            actually became a Jewish man; He simply assumed the role of one for the
            purpose of establishing the Kingdom of God and the New Coveneant in a manner
            that transcends ethnic division. This He could not have accomplished, I
            posit, if He did not possess the totality of human nature -- including Jews
            but all other races as well -- in His person.

            Perhaps we will understand each other better if we invoke the ancient
            Sophistic distinction between nature (phusis) and convention (nomos). Can
            we agree that Christ was a Jew by covnention, but not by nature?

            > The first Gospel to be written was Mathew which was
            > written in Aranmaic Syrian as it was addressed to
            > Aramaic speaking Syrian and Jewish Christians.

            This is incorrect. The first Gospel to be written was Mark, and the
            language of composition was Greek. I know of no archaeological or
            manuscript evidence supporting the theory that the Gospels were originally
            composed in Aramaic, or any other language but Greek. Cf. Paul N. Tarazi,
            _The New Testament: Introduction_, vol. 1, Paul and Mark (Crestwood, NY: St.
            Vladimir's Seminary Press 1999). On the original language of the Gospels
            consult the various studies by Jaroslav Pelikan, for example.

            That said, as an editor of the Orthodox journal _Theandros_, I invite you,
            Steve, or anyone interested to submit an article arguing in favor of a
            theory of original Aramaic composition. Please see the link in my signature
            for information on submitting, should you be so inclined.

            In Christ,

            Edward

            ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            Edward Moore, S.T.L., Ph.D. (candidate)
            St. Elias School of Orthodox Theology
            E-mail: emoore@...
            Homepage: www.theandros.com/emoore

            Theandros: An Online Journal of
            Orthodox Christian Theology and
            Philosophy
            www.theandros.com
            ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          • Edward Moore
            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2004
              Davide,

              You wrote:

              "I suspect that our dear friend and brother in Christ Steve unproperly
              mixed hate against the Jews, hate against the Americans, hate against
              current American politics, hate against Israeli politics, hate
              against the death of innocent Arab people etc., but I wanted to share
              with him the thought that the Jews, as well as deserving the utmost
              respect as every other people created by God, can't be hated by any
              Christian who believes that God chose to incarnate as a Jewish man."

              "Hate" is a strong word, and I would be slow to accuse anyone of hatred,
              especially someone like Steve, whom I know only through my limited contact
              with him on this list -- which is to say I don't know him at all. E-mail
              forums are notoriously conducive to mis-understanding, and so I always try
              to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

              That said, I certainly agree with you: hatred is not to be tolerated by
              Christians, against anyone. However, we are permitted righteous
              indignation. And I am personally indignant over current Israeli policies,
              as well as the policies of the administration of my country, the United
              States. Indignation is an intellectual comportment; hatred is the reaction
              of the ignorant. Steve is certainly not ignorant, so let us speak of his --
              and my own (assuming I can be spared the label of ignoramus) -- indignation.

              In Christ,

              Edward
            • Steve Dennehy
              Message 6 of 14 , May 2, 2004
                Davide,

                Wasn't Clement of Alexandria an Egyptian who wrote in
                Greek ? Greek was the language used to transmit the
                New Testament and was the main language used by the
                Fathers of the Church up to about 800 for the
                non-Greeks.
                Most Greeks are not Christians; the rate of practise
                among Greek nominal Christians is about 1/3 in Geece
                and the diaspora. Greece like almost all of Europe is
                an ex-Christian nation which legalized the murder of
                the human person in the womb by abortion in 1983.

                I have read a great deal in the Fathers for the past
                26 years, though I'm certainly no expert on the
                Fathers. I like to read all of them-Jewish, Syrian,
                Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Armenian, Ethiopian, Persian,
                Indian, Georgian, Irish, Spanish, etc. The Church of
                Our Lord Yshua Messiah is universal and contains
                members of every nation, race and tongue on the globe.
                In Trinity, our God,
                Steve

              • Steve Dennehy
                Message 7 of 14 , May 2, 2004
                  Davide,
                  Jesus is a Jew, Jesus is a man--God as man and will
                  always be a man, a Divine man. Otherwise you end up
                  denying the Incarnation. "What is not assumed is not
                  redeemed" (I think it was St. Athanasius who said
                  that.). God the Son did not becaome man, then
                  transcend being a man, cease being a man. He restored
                  His human nature to a pre-fallen state in His glorious
                  resurrection, restoring our human nature in His. He
                  ascended into the Father, deifying His human nature
                  and deifying our human nature in His. In the
                  Ascension His human nature becomes Divine, it does not
                  cease to exist.
                  In Yeshua, the Divine Jew,
                  Steve
                  --- D�vide Siv�ro <davidetamara@...> wrote:
                  > Jesus was not and is not a Jew! He was incarnated
                  > as a Jewish man
                  >
                  > -I meant that.
                  >
                  > > Moreover, the Gospels were written in Greek, not
                  > Hebrew
                  >
                  > -Lots of scholars say that at least Mor Mattay's
                  > Gospel was written
                  > either in Aramaic or Hebrew, isn't that true? Anyhow
                  > I think it isn't
                  > a matter of dogma...
                  > The Greek Orthodox tradition says that the Aramaic
                  > or Hebrew parts of
                  > the New Testament were immediately translated into
                  > Greek under the
                  > guidance of the Ru'ho Qadisho.
                  > BaMshi'ho,
                  > Davide

                • Thomas P
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3, 2004
                    I think this forum should encourage messages related to Syriac
                    resources and Orthodox church in general. Issues about ethnicity etc.
                    can be discussed on other relevant forums.

                    - Thomas
                  • Steve Dennehy
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 3, 2004
                      Edward,
                      Jesus, from His conception in an egg in the womb of
                      the All-Holy Virgin Miriam is Spirit-Soul-Body, as are
                      all human persons.
                      His Spirit is His Person, His "I" (God the
                      Son/Word/Image), eternal and Divine.
                      His Soul is perfect universal, but at the same time
                      is unique and individual.
                      His Body is male and ethnically Jewish Semitic
                      Caucasian.
                      He is One Lord Yeshua Messiah (Jesus Christ).

                      You state this correctly when you say He is a single
                      hypostasis (Person).

                      Your statement that"He never actually became a Jewish
                      man, He just assumed the role of one for the purpose
                      of establishing the Kingdom of God..." strikes me as
                      Nestorian and Gnostic. You seem to be denying the
                      Incarnation altogether. I don't undertsand how you
                      could read St. Athanasius and come to that conclusion.

                      The tradition in the Church from ancient times is that
                      the Gospels are arranged in chronological order, in
                      the order in which they were written. The Tradition
                      is that Mathew's was addressed to the Aramaic-Syriac
                      speaking Jewish and Syrian Christians, Luke to the
                      Greek speaking Christians and Mark to the Latin
                      speaking Christians.

                      It is always a mistake to subvert theology to
                      philosophy. It is always a mistake to subvert God to
                      theology. Dogmas are boundaries; they tell us where
                      to go, where not to go. But dogmas are not God,
                      statements about God are not God. ONLY GOD IS GOD.
                      God is Father-Jesus-Spirit, One in Essence and
                      undivided.
                      In Him,
                      Steve
                      --- Edward Moore <emoore@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > was Mark, and the
                      > language of composition was Greek. I know of no
                      > archaeological or
                      > manuscript evidence supporting the theory that the
                      > Gospels were originally
                      > composed in Aramaic, or any other language but
                      > Greek. Cf. Paul N. Tarazi,
                      > _The New Testament: Introduction_, vol. 1, Paul and
                      > Mark (Crestwood, NY: St.
                      > Vladimir's Seminary Press 1999). On the original
                      > language of the Gospels
                      > consult the various studies by Jaroslav Pelikan, for
                      > example.
                      >
                      > That said, as an editor of the Orthodox journal
                      > _Theandros_, I invite you,
                      > Steve, or anyone interested to submit an article
                      > arguing in favor of a
                      > theory of original Aramaic composition. Please see
                      > the link in my signature
                      > for information on submitting, should you be so

                    • Steve Dennehy
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 8, 2004
                        Thomas,

                        We are not discussing ethnicity, we are discussing the
                        Person of Lord Jesus Christ--the point of the Syrian
                        Orthodox Church and of any believing Christian.
                        Steve
                        --- Thomas P <thomas_pa1@...> wrote:
                        > I think this forum should encourage messages related
                        > to Syriac
                        > resources and Orthodox church in general. Issues
                        > about ethnicity etc.
                        > can be discussed on other relevant forums.
                        >
                        > - Thomas

                      • Rajesh George
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 10, 2004

                          Dear Brothers in Christ

                                      Do you feel that the most important aspect about our life is we need to inherit the kingdom of GOD ?  We need to enjoy the LOVE of Jesus in our practical lifes.

                          That’s is most important for us than about the theological aspects  of  our Lord.

                          Thanks for all