RE: [SORForum] Jesus is a Jew

  • Sarkessian, Gary A
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 27 4:16 AM

      His mother was a Jew.  John the Forerunner was a Jew.  St. Paul was a Jew.  St. John the Evangelist was a Jew.

      I have never heard anyone until today say that Jesus was not a Jew.

      Garabed A. Sarkessian

      The Apostolic, Catholic, Orthodox, Holy Church of Armenia

      Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

      USA

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 27 10:05 AM
        Jesus was not and is not a Jew! He was incarnated as a Jewish man

        -I meant that.

        > Moreover, the Gospels were written in Greek, not Hebrew

        -Lots of scholars say that at least Mor Mattay's Gospel was written
        either in Aramaic or Hebrew, isn't that true? Anyhow I think it isn't
        a matter of dogma...
        The Greek Orthodox tradition says that the Aramaic or Hebrew parts of
        the New Testament were immediately translated into Greek under the
        guidance of the Ru'ho Qadisho.
        BaMshi'ho,
        Davide
      • Dàvide Sivèro
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 27 10:37 AM
          > The Arabs, Muslim and Christian, of Israel are full
          > citizens of the State of Israel and are about 20% of
          > the population.

          -But they are often regarded as second class citizens, as even non-Ashkenazi
          Jewish Israelis are.

          > It isn't money worship that causes us to send our sons
          > and daughters to Iraq, it was to rid Irag, the Middle
          > East and the world of a very evil dictator

          -I fear that most wars aren't charity...

          You would never accuse our nation

          -No, dear friend and brother in Christ, I don't accuse a nation, a people at
          all. I do accuse a kind of politics.

          Americans are not perfect, we are good
          > and evil like all people but you folks are intent on
          > painitng us as all-evil and yourselves as all-good.
          > Both are lies.

          -You are right!
          BaMshi'ho,
          Davide
        • Steve Dennehy
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 27 5:51 PM
            Edward,

            God the Son became man, He became a Jewish man. His
            Person is God the Son but he has a human nature- male
            and Jewish Semitic Caucasian . In His life among us
            he had a language, a religion(the Israeli religion-
            God's covenant with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob Israel),
            a home (Nazareth in Galilee), an occupation (first
            carpenter, then itinerant rabbi), a mother
            (Miraim/Mary), a foster-father (Yousef/Joseph), step
            brothers and sisters . He lived in a psecic time and
            place. He does not transcend His human nature. By
            His Resurrection and Ascension He gloriefies, then
            deifies His human nature whcih will always be male
            asnd Jewish.
            Aramaic Syrian was his primnary language, the language
            of the mass of common Israeli peoples in his time,
            though He also spoke Hebrew and possibly Greek.
            The first Gospel to be written was Mathew which was
            written in Aranmaic Syrian as it was addressed to
            Aramaic speaking Syrian and Jewish Christians.

            In Yeshua, our Beloved Joy,
            Steve
            --- Edward Moore <emoore@...> wrote:

            > "D�vide Siv�ro" <davidetamara@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Of course Yeshua' HamMashia'h was a Jew, and
            > almost all the prophets
            > > and the main saints of our faith, including the
            > mother of God, are
            > > Jews.
            > > Shalom uverakhah,
            > > Davide
            >
            > I must confess that I am aghast at the theological
            > ignorance of certain members of this forum. Have
            > none bothered to study patrology and the Oecumenical
            > Councils? Jesus was not and is not a Jew! He was
            > incarnated as a Jewish man, yes, but in his humanity
            > He united all of human nature with the Godhead, in a
            > manner transcending biological and ethnic
            > differences. This is "Theology 101" gentlemen ...
            > Please refer to St. Athanasius' De incarnatione, or
            > to the Christological writings of St. Maximus the
            > Confessor.
            >
            > Moreover, the Gospels were written in Greek, not
            > Hebrew, due to the fact that God has decided to make
            > His revelation accessible to the entire world, not
            > just to the Jews -- and in that period Greek was the
            > common language of the Roman Empire. I strongly
            > suggest that Messrs. Dennehy and Siv�ro spend some
            > time studying the work of the Greek Fathers, who
            > were well-acquainted with the philosophies of Plato,
            > Aristotle, Plotinus, etc. It is the Greeks, not the
            > Hebrews, who are the true spiritual forebears of
            > Christianity, as St. Clement of Alexandria, for
            > example, adequately attests.
            >
            > H cariV tou Kuriou hmwn Ihsou Cristou meta pantwn
            > umwn.
            >
            > Edward Moore, S.T.L.

          • Dàvide Sivèro
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 30 10:11 AM
              I strongly suggest that Messrs. Dennehy and Sivèro spend some time
              studying the work of the Greek Fathers, who were well-acquainted with
              the philosophies of Plato, Aristotle, Plotinus, etc.

              -I didn't reflected before now on these words, dear brother in
              Christ. Plato, Aristotle and Plotinus weren't Christians at all, they
              were Pagans, but, of course, a Pagan can have a valid thought. St.
              Augustine said that the Greeks had been given reason by the Lord,
              while the Jews had been given the Torah, the Revelation (which
              definitely is more important).

              It is the Greeks, not the Hebrews, who are the true spiritual
              forebears of Christianity, as St. Clement of Alexandria, for example,
              adequately attests.

              -Yes, it's very clear that most Jews didn't believe in Christ, while
              most Greeks do. Of course this doesn't contraddict at all the fact
              that there is NO difference before God between one people and another
              people, between Jews, Greeks, Syrians or anybody else.
              I suspect that our dear friend and brother in Christ Steve unproperly
              mixed hate against the Jews, hate against the Americans, hate against
              current American politics, hate against Israeli politics, hate
              against the death of innocent Arab people etc., but I wanted to share
              with him the thought that the Jews, as well as deserving the utmost
              respect as every other people created by God, can't be hated by any
              Christian who believes that God chose to incarnate as a Jewish man.
              BaMshi'ho,
              Davide
            • Edward Moore
              Message 6 of 14 , May 1, 2004
                Steve,

                > God the Son became man, He became a Jewish man. His
                > Person is God the Son but he has a human nature- male
                > and Jewish Semitic Caucasian .

                This statement is theologically unsound. The Orthodox Church Fathers
                unanimously hold that Christ was a single person (hupostasis) possessing two
                natures, divine and human. His human nature was not the specific,
                individual nature of a single man; rather, as God-man, the New Adam, Christ
                united the totality of human nature with divinity in His single hupostasis.
                You are, of course, correct that the God-man existed in the 'person'
                (prosopon) of a Jewish man at a particular time in history, but as St.
                Athanasius affirms (in his De incarnatione), He never stopped functioning as
                the Logos holding the universe together by the power of His divine will. We
                know from the New Testament that Christ unites all of humanity in His
                person, so that we are no longer able to make distinctions between Jew and
                Greek (Gentile), male and female, slave and free, etc. Further, as the
                Epistle to the Hebrews tells us, Christ is eternally the same. He never
                actually became a Jewish man; He simply assumed the role of one for the
                purpose of establishing the Kingdom of God and the New Coveneant in a manner
                that transcends ethnic division. This He could not have accomplished, I
                posit, if He did not possess the totality of human nature -- including Jews
                but all other races as well -- in His person.

                Perhaps we will understand each other better if we invoke the ancient
                Sophistic distinction between nature (phusis) and convention (nomos). Can
                we agree that Christ was a Jew by covnention, but not by nature?

                > The first Gospel to be written was Mathew which was
                > written in Aranmaic Syrian as it was addressed to
                > Aramaic speaking Syrian and Jewish Christians.

                This is incorrect. The first Gospel to be written was Mark, and the
                language of composition was Greek. I know of no archaeological or
                manuscript evidence supporting the theory that the Gospels were originally
                composed in Aramaic, or any other language but Greek. Cf. Paul N. Tarazi,
                _The New Testament: Introduction_, vol. 1, Paul and Mark (Crestwood, NY: St.
                Vladimir's Seminary Press 1999). On the original language of the Gospels
                consult the various studies by Jaroslav Pelikan, for example.

                That said, as an editor of the Orthodox journal _Theandros_, I invite you,
                Steve, or anyone interested to submit an article arguing in favor of a
                theory of original Aramaic composition. Please see the link in my signature
                for information on submitting, should you be so inclined.

                In Christ,

                Edward

                ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                Edward Moore, S.T.L., Ph.D. (candidate)
                St. Elias School of Orthodox Theology
                E-mail: emoore@...
                Homepage: www.theandros.com/emoore

                Theandros: An Online Journal of
                Orthodox Christian Theology and
                Philosophy
                www.theandros.com
                ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
              • Edward Moore
                Message 7 of 14 , May 1, 2004
                  Davide,

                  You wrote:

                  "I suspect that our dear friend and brother in Christ Steve unproperly
                  mixed hate against the Jews, hate against the Americans, hate against
                  current American politics, hate against Israeli politics, hate
                  against the death of innocent Arab people etc., but I wanted to share
                  with him the thought that the Jews, as well as deserving the utmost
                  respect as every other people created by God, can't be hated by any
                  Christian who believes that God chose to incarnate as a Jewish man."

                  "Hate" is a strong word, and I would be slow to accuse anyone of hatred,
                  especially someone like Steve, whom I know only through my limited contact
                  with him on this list -- which is to say I don't know him at all. E-mail
                  forums are notoriously conducive to mis-understanding, and so I always try
                  to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

                  That said, I certainly agree with you: hatred is not to be tolerated by
                  Christians, against anyone. However, we are permitted righteous
                  indignation. And I am personally indignant over current Israeli policies,
                  as well as the policies of the administration of my country, the United
                  States. Indignation is an intellectual comportment; hatred is the reaction
                  of the ignorant. Steve is certainly not ignorant, so let us speak of his --
                  and my own (assuming I can be spared the label of ignoramus) -- indignation.

                  In Christ,

                  Edward
                • Steve Dennehy
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 2, 2004
                    Davide,

                    Wasn't Clement of Alexandria an Egyptian who wrote in
                    Greek ? Greek was the language used to transmit the
                    New Testament and was the main language used by the
                    Fathers of the Church up to about 800 for the
                    non-Greeks.
                    Most Greeks are not Christians; the rate of practise
                    among Greek nominal Christians is about 1/3 in Geece
                    and the diaspora. Greece like almost all of Europe is
                    an ex-Christian nation which legalized the murder of
                    the human person in the womb by abortion in 1983.

                    I have read a great deal in the Fathers for the past
                    26 years, though I'm certainly no expert on the
                    Fathers. I like to read all of them-Jewish, Syrian,
                    Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Armenian, Ethiopian, Persian,
                    Indian, Georgian, Irish, Spanish, etc. The Church of
                    Our Lord Yshua Messiah is universal and contains
                    members of every nation, race and tongue on the globe.
                    In Trinity, our God,
                    Steve

                  • Steve Dennehy
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 2, 2004
                      Davide,
                      Jesus is a Jew, Jesus is a man--God as man and will
                      always be a man, a Divine man. Otherwise you end up
                      denying the Incarnation. "What is not assumed is not
                      redeemed" (I think it was St. Athanasius who said
                      that.). God the Son did not becaome man, then
                      transcend being a man, cease being a man. He restored
                      His human nature to a pre-fallen state in His glorious
                      resurrection, restoring our human nature in His. He
                      ascended into the Father, deifying His human nature
                      and deifying our human nature in His. In the
                      Ascension His human nature becomes Divine, it does not
                      cease to exist.
                      In Yeshua, the Divine Jew,
                      Steve
                      --- D�vide Siv�ro <davidetamara@...> wrote:
                      > Jesus was not and is not a Jew! He was incarnated
                      > as a Jewish man
                      >
                      > -I meant that.
                      >
                      > > Moreover, the Gospels were written in Greek, not
                      > Hebrew
                      >
                      > -Lots of scholars say that at least Mor Mattay's
                      > Gospel was written
                      > either in Aramaic or Hebrew, isn't that true? Anyhow
                      > I think it isn't
                      > a matter of dogma...
                      > The Greek Orthodox tradition says that the Aramaic
                      > or Hebrew parts of
                      > the New Testament were immediately translated into
                      > Greek under the
                      > guidance of the Ru'ho Qadisho.
                      > BaMshi'ho,
                      > Davide

                    • Thomas P
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 3, 2004
                        I think this forum should encourage messages related to Syriac
                        resources and Orthodox church in general. Issues about ethnicity etc.
                        can be discussed on other relevant forums.

                        - Thomas
                      • Steve Dennehy
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 3, 2004
                          Edward,
                          Jesus, from His conception in an egg in the womb of
                          the All-Holy Virgin Miriam is Spirit-Soul-Body, as are
                          all human persons.
                          His Spirit is His Person, His "I" (God the
                          Son/Word/Image), eternal and Divine.
                          His Soul is perfect universal, but at the same time
                          is unique and individual.
                          His Body is male and ethnically Jewish Semitic
                          Caucasian.
                          He is One Lord Yeshua Messiah (Jesus Christ).

                          You state this correctly when you say He is a single
                          hypostasis (Person).

                          Your statement that"He never actually became a Jewish
                          man, He just assumed the role of one for the purpose
                          of establishing the Kingdom of God..." strikes me as
                          Nestorian and Gnostic. You seem to be denying the
                          Incarnation altogether. I don't undertsand how you
                          could read St. Athanasius and come to that conclusion.

                          The tradition in the Church from ancient times is that
                          the Gospels are arranged in chronological order, in
                          the order in which they were written. The Tradition
                          is that Mathew's was addressed to the Aramaic-Syriac
                          speaking Jewish and Syrian Christians, Luke to the
                          Greek speaking Christians and Mark to the Latin
                          speaking Christians.

                          It is always a mistake to subvert theology to
                          philosophy. It is always a mistake to subvert God to
                          theology. Dogmas are boundaries; they tell us where
                          to go, where not to go. But dogmas are not God,
                          statements about God are not God. ONLY GOD IS GOD.
                          God is Father-Jesus-Spirit, One in Essence and
                          undivided.
                          In Him,
                          Steve
                          --- Edward Moore <emoore@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > was Mark, and the
                          > language of composition was Greek. I know of no
                          > archaeological or
                          > manuscript evidence supporting the theory that the
                          > Gospels were originally
                          > composed in Aramaic, or any other language but
                          > Greek. Cf. Paul N. Tarazi,
                          > _The New Testament: Introduction_, vol. 1, Paul and
                          > Mark (Crestwood, NY: St.
                          > Vladimir's Seminary Press 1999). On the original
                          > language of the Gospels
                          > consult the various studies by Jaroslav Pelikan, for
                          > example.
                          >
                          > That said, as an editor of the Orthodox journal
                          > _Theandros_, I invite you,
                          > Steve, or anyone interested to submit an article
                          > arguing in favor of a
                          > theory of original Aramaic composition. Please see
                          > the link in my signature
                          > for information on submitting, should you be so

                        • Steve Dennehy
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 8, 2004
                            Thomas,

                            We are not discussing ethnicity, we are discussing the
                            Person of Lord Jesus Christ--the point of the Syrian
                            Orthodox Church and of any believing Christian.
                            Steve
                            --- Thomas P <thomas_pa1@...> wrote:
                            > I think this forum should encourage messages related
                            > to Syriac
                            > resources and Orthodox church in general. Issues
                            > about ethnicity etc.
                            > can be discussed on other relevant forums.
                            >
                            > - Thomas

                          • Rajesh George
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 10, 2004

                              Dear Brothers in Christ

                                          Do you feel that the most important aspect about our life is we need to inherit the kingdom of GOD ?  We need to enjoy the LOVE of Jesus in our practical lifes.

                              That’s is most important for us than about the theological aspects  of  our Lord.

                              Thanks for all