Re: [SORForum] Easter / Prayers

  • Edward Moore
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 21, 2004
      > Let's try to remember that Our Lord Yeshua Messiah
      > (Jesus Christ), our God and only Saviour, is the
      > Divine Jew not the Divine Syrian.
      >
      > Steve Dennehy

      Rather, let us remember more correctly that in Christ there is neither Jew
      nor Greek, nor slave or freeman, nor male or female, as Galatians 3:28
      explicitly teaches. There is nothing more destructive to the Christian
      faith than favoring one ethnic group over another.

      Edward Moore
    • Dàvide Sivèro
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2004
        > I'm very tired of constant anti-American sentiments

        Dear brother in Yeshua' hammashia'h, I take the liberty to add: how
        can it be expected that people believing in the Message of the
        Scriptures -including lots of religious Jews, who dislike Israeli and
        US politics- agree with the politics of a state (the USA) that
        supports a state (Israel) that has occupied lands where people are
        given no right, unless they are considered Jewish by the state? Jews
        living in the occupied territories, as well as Samaritans, considered
        Jewish by the state but not by the Torah, received Israeli
        citizenship, Muslims and Christians didn't.
        How can it be expected that people believing in the Message of the
        Scriptures like the civilians' deaths caused by the wars of a state,
        which has money worship as its official religion?
        This defineitely is different from being Anti-American in the meaning
        of hating the American people or any other people created by the Lord
        in the world.

        Apparrently Saddam
        > Hussein and and Syria's Assad are living saints.

        I completely agree that Syria isn't a democracy. As to Assad, he was
        welcomed by the Neture Qarta of London (cfr.
        www.nkusa.org/activities/press/london121502.cfm ), so I don't think
        he is a bloody Anti-Semite either (it would be better to say "Anti-
        Jew" because Syrians definitely are Semites), but, surely, he isn't
        democratic.
        As to his supposed sanctity ;-) do you know that Assad isn't a true
        monotheist either, he isn't a Muslim? He is from the Nusayri sect of
        the Kurdish-originated cult of angels, which is considered a
        development of Mithraism.

        > Let's try to remember that Our Lord Yeshua Messiah
        > (Jesus Christ), our God and only Saviour, is the
        > Divine Jew not the Divine Syrian.

        Of course Yeshua' HamMashia'h was a Jew, and almost all the prophets
        and the main saints of our faith, including the mother of God, are
        Jews.
        Shalom uverakhah,
        Davide
      • Steve Dennehy
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25, 2004
          Davide,
          I,like most Americans, support the establishment of a
          Palestinian State ,as does Pres. Bush. I would like
          to see Israel withdraw from the occupied territories
          but we also have to remember these territories were
          occupied after Israel was attacked in the 1967 War.
          The Arabs, Muslim and Christian, of Israel are full
          citizens of the State of Israel and are about 20% of
          the population.
          I want a free Palestinian nation as well as a secure
          Israel.
          America is committed to Israel to it's survival and
          it's security, but we don't think everything Israel
          does is right. Like every other nation Israelis are
          good and evil.
          It isn't money worship that causes us to send our sons
          and daughters to Iraq, it was to rid Irag, the Middle
          East and the world of a very evil dictator who has
          been a constant problem to the people of Irag as well
          as to his neighbors (Iran, Kuwait). You don't know
          America, sir, you don't know the hearts of our people
          or our President. You would never accuse our nation
          of such evil. Americans are not perfect, we are good
          and evil like all people but you folks are intent on
          painitng us as all-evil and yourselves as all-good.
          Both are lies.
          Nationalsim, worship of your nation or ethnic group,
          is idolatry. Worship God alone; only God is God.
          In Lord Yeshua (Jesus) who suffered and died for the
          sins of all people.
          Steve

          http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash
        • drthomas_joseph
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 26, 2004
            Steve -

            The SOR-Forum is dedicated to disseminating information related to
            the spiritual heritage of the Syriac Orthodox Church. Significant
            news related to the Church are also disseminated on the forum as
            appropriate. Members of the forum are nationals of different
            countries including a number of US nationals and residents. We have
            no intent to support any political agenda including promoting any
            anti-American sentiments. At the same time, we have no intent to
            censor messages of interest to Christians in the Middle East because
            it may offend some Americans or of other nationalities.

            I assume that the quote in Message <a
            href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOR-Forum/message/579">579</a>
            that provoked you is "The spiritual leaders of the Christian sects
            expressed gratitude to President Assad for his kind congratulations,
            wishing His Excellency success in leading the country and care for
            all the citizens for the best interest of Syria and the Arab Nation."

            I cannot agree with your argument that this statement is anti-
            American merely because representatives of Middle Eastern Churches
            expressed gratitude to Bashar Assad. I guess by the same token, if a
            Christian leader were to denounce the denial of civil rights to
            Christians in Saudi Arabia that would be "anti-American" as well
            because Saudi Arabia is one of the closest US allies.

            You go on to claim that the forum consistently promotes anti-American
            sentiments. Even if the above statement falls into the category
            of "anti-American", the facts do not support your claim. The archives
            of messages posted on the forum are available at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOR-Forum. You can go ahead and
            determine for yourselves the number of messages that contain any such
            statement.

            While I have no intent to open SOR-Forum for political discussion,
            the point you have raised requires a response.

            Assad is no doubt a ruler who was not democratically elected who is
            obstructing US designs for the Middle East. Now, how many allies of
            the US in the Middle East have democratically elected rulers and
            unstained hands?

            Syria is a country that is viewed as a nation that promotes terrorism
            in the Middle East by the US. Yet, Saudi Arabia, the closest ally of
            the US was the chief exporter of terrorism all over the world,
            including the terrorists of 9/11 notoriety. One cannot hide behind
            the smoke screen that terrorists were individuals acting on their
            own. The Saudi government actively funded ultra-fundamentalist
            Wahhabi schools all over the world including US and nurtured agents
            of intolerance and terror. The US did nothing about it until the
            terrorists struck America.

            Syria is perhaps the only country where Christians can live in peace,
            practice their religion without fear of reprisal, and aspire to
            equality in public life. Is an oblique acknowledgment of this fact
            anti-American? Saudi on the other hand is a land where possessing a
            Bible or Christian literature, practicing any religion other than
            Islam is a crime with grave punishment. Yet, the US is its closest
            ally; the US has not been able or willing to exert any influence on
            them to permit even a modicum of civil rights for non-Muslims. Aren't
            the human values of liberty and equality what America stands for?

            In Iraq, Christians who have lived there since time immemorial have
            been given the cold shoulder by the US administrators as the
            political future of the country is being determined. Despite the evil
            perpetrated by the butcher of Baghdad, the Christian minority fared
            better than many other countries in the Middle East; today, the
            Christian minority lives in the fear of being obliterated. In such
            circumstances, can you blame the Christians in the Middle East for
            being grateful to Assad?

            I hope you will reconsider your intemperate remarks and recognize
            that denying human beings liberty, equality and fundamental civil
            rights are truly what is "anti-American."

            Thomas Joseph
            Moderator, SOR-Forum

          • Steve Dennehy
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
              Thomas,

              I was referring specifically to paragraphs 5 and 6.
              Prasing dictators like Assad for "efforts to realize
              just and comprehensive peace in the region and her
              commitment to justice and right values" is little
              short of an outright lie. Veiled references to
              "accusations and threats against Syria, which aim at
              subdueing the whole region and plundering it's wealth
              and treasures" is obviously directed at America.
              That seems to be the party line in the Middle
              East--"America is there to steal oil and conquer the
              region". Do you really think America waznts the
              incredible headache that the Middle East is ?

              You're right, Saudi Arabia is a dictatorship, with no
              religious freedom, and is an ally of America. The
              Saud family certainly doesn't support the ultra-fun-
              damentalist Wahabi sect of Islam since it is opposed
              to them, and they have tried buying them off. The
              American government does need to put more pressure on
              the Saudi government to democratize that nation.

              The only design America has for the Middle East is to
              bring stability and hopefully, democracy to it, not
              by coercion but by example. Unfortunatwely, there is
              no tradition of democracy in any of these countries.

              It is difficult for Middle Easterners and Americans to
              communicate, principally because few Americans are
              familiar with Islam and few Middle Easterners are
              familiar with America, unless they have lived here
              which, proportionately ,few have. Mddle Easterners
              tend to get their sense of America and the American
              people from American movies, televsion, music and
              advertising, much of which is destructive and decadent
              and distorts America. This is a problem here in
              America itself between the left and the right, and
              those of us who try to hold the center.

              I am GLAD Saddam Husein is gone from power; you should
              all be glad he's gone. One less evil dictator in the
              world is to everyone's advantage, especially to the
              people of Irag and surrounding countries.

              I think it would help a great deal if the SOR forum
              focused less on the Syrian people, the Syriac language
              and the heritage of the Syrian Church and more on the
              One Who is supposed to be the point of the Syrian
              Church and every other branch of Christianity--Lord
              Yeshua Messiah (Jesus Christ), the living, present
              Lord of the Universe in us and among us.
              Steve

              MODERATOR:

              === message truncated ===

            • Zayd Abdul-Noor
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2004
                Jesus as his manhood nature was a Jew but the jews didn't accept him as saviour and God and this make no sense in politics as the   God's people are not the jewish people
                God's people is the christians not jews
                Isreal nowadays are criminal state and Sharon like Saddam
                do not do like Muslims and interefere relegion with politics

                Zayd Abdulnoor

                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2004
                  > Jesus as his manhood nature was a Jew but the jews didn't accept
                  him as saviour

                  Dear friend and brother in Christ, yes of course, the Jews as a
                  majority of the Jewish people, didn't, but the very first to accept
                  Him were Jews. I don't know whether this happens in the Syriac
                  Orthodox Church, but in other Christian Churches (ex.: the Orthodox
                  Church in communion with Konstandinopolis) there even are people who
                  belong to the Jewish people and to the Christian Faith. The Catholic
                  Church even have "qehillot shel minhag 'Ibrit", "communities of
                  Hebrew tradition", made of Jews belonging to the Roman Catholic
                  Church, and in Palestine there even is an auxiliary Bishop to the
                  Latin Patriarch for the Christian Jews, Hegmon Jean-Baptiste Gourion.

                  > God's people is the christians not jews

                  We know that Yisrael was God's people, now all the Christians,
                  whether Jews (as a people, not as a religious group, which would
                  imply the denying of Christian Truth) or non-Jews, are His people.

                  > Isreal nowadays are criminal state

                  I definitely agree with you. Of course that has nothing to do with
                  the fact that Moran Yeshu' Mshi'ho was a Jew, incarnated as a Jewish
                  man, that the early Church was Jewish (ethnical meaning of "Jewish",
                  not the religious one: they are two different meanings), that the
                  Jews have been God's chosen people, that the world wide (from
                  Palestine to any other country) dispersed people of Israel and the
                  state of Israel are two different things, that a Jew may hate Israeli
                  politics as we two do (and several Jews do so)...
                  BaMshi'ho,
                  Davide