Re: [SORForum] Easter / Prayers

  • Steve Dennehy
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 20, 2004
      SOR Forum

      I'm very tired of constant anti-American sentiments
      and the praising of dictators in the Middle East by so
      called Christians on this forum. Apparrently Saddam
      Hussein and and Syria's Assad are living saints.
      Give me a break.

      Let's try to remember that Our Lord Yeshua Messiah
      (Jesus Christ), our God and only Saviour, is the
      Divine Jew not the Divine Syrian.

      Steve Dennehy

      http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash
    • Edward Moore
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 21, 2004
        > Let's try to remember that Our Lord Yeshua Messiah
        > (Jesus Christ), our God and only Saviour, is the
        > Divine Jew not the Divine Syrian.
        >
        > Steve Dennehy

        Rather, let us remember more correctly that in Christ there is neither Jew
        nor Greek, nor slave or freeman, nor male or female, as Galatians 3:28
        explicitly teaches. There is nothing more destructive to the Christian
        faith than favoring one ethnic group over another.

        Edward Moore
      • Dàvide Sivèro
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25, 2004
          > I'm very tired of constant anti-American sentiments

          Dear brother in Yeshua' hammashia'h, I take the liberty to add: how
          can it be expected that people believing in the Message of the
          Scriptures -including lots of religious Jews, who dislike Israeli and
          US politics- agree with the politics of a state (the USA) that
          supports a state (Israel) that has occupied lands where people are
          given no right, unless they are considered Jewish by the state? Jews
          living in the occupied territories, as well as Samaritans, considered
          Jewish by the state but not by the Torah, received Israeli
          citizenship, Muslims and Christians didn't.
          How can it be expected that people believing in the Message of the
          Scriptures like the civilians' deaths caused by the wars of a state,
          which has money worship as its official religion?
          This defineitely is different from being Anti-American in the meaning
          of hating the American people or any other people created by the Lord
          in the world.

          Apparrently Saddam
          > Hussein and and Syria's Assad are living saints.

          I completely agree that Syria isn't a democracy. As to Assad, he was
          welcomed by the Neture Qarta of London (cfr.
          www.nkusa.org/activities/press/london121502.cfm ), so I don't think
          he is a bloody Anti-Semite either (it would be better to say "Anti-
          Jew" because Syrians definitely are Semites), but, surely, he isn't
          democratic.
          As to his supposed sanctity ;-) do you know that Assad isn't a true
          monotheist either, he isn't a Muslim? He is from the Nusayri sect of
          the Kurdish-originated cult of angels, which is considered a
          development of Mithraism.

          > Let's try to remember that Our Lord Yeshua Messiah
          > (Jesus Christ), our God and only Saviour, is the
          > Divine Jew not the Divine Syrian.

          Of course Yeshua' HamMashia'h was a Jew, and almost all the prophets
          and the main saints of our faith, including the mother of God, are
          Jews.
          Shalom uverakhah,
          Davide
        • Steve Dennehy
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25, 2004
            Davide,
            I,like most Americans, support the establishment of a
            Palestinian State ,as does Pres. Bush. I would like
            to see Israel withdraw from the occupied territories
            but we also have to remember these territories were
            occupied after Israel was attacked in the 1967 War.
            The Arabs, Muslim and Christian, of Israel are full
            citizens of the State of Israel and are about 20% of
            the population.
            I want a free Palestinian nation as well as a secure
            Israel.
            America is committed to Israel to it's survival and
            it's security, but we don't think everything Israel
            does is right. Like every other nation Israelis are
            good and evil.
            It isn't money worship that causes us to send our sons
            and daughters to Iraq, it was to rid Irag, the Middle
            East and the world of a very evil dictator who has
            been a constant problem to the people of Irag as well
            as to his neighbors (Iran, Kuwait). You don't know
            America, sir, you don't know the hearts of our people
            or our President. You would never accuse our nation
            of such evil. Americans are not perfect, we are good
            and evil like all people but you folks are intent on
            painitng us as all-evil and yourselves as all-good.
            Both are lies.
            Nationalsim, worship of your nation or ethnic group,
            is idolatry. Worship God alone; only God is God.
            In Lord Yeshua (Jesus) who suffered and died for the
            sins of all people.
            Steve

          • drthomas_joseph
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 26, 2004
              Steve -

              The SOR-Forum is dedicated to disseminating information related to
              the spiritual heritage of the Syriac Orthodox Church. Significant
              news related to the Church are also disseminated on the forum as
              appropriate. Members of the forum are nationals of different
              countries including a number of US nationals and residents. We have
              no intent to support any political agenda including promoting any
              anti-American sentiments. At the same time, we have no intent to
              censor messages of interest to Christians in the Middle East because
              it may offend some Americans or of other nationalities.

              I assume that the quote in Message <a
              href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOR-Forum/message/579">579</a>
              that provoked you is "The spiritual leaders of the Christian sects
              expressed gratitude to President Assad for his kind congratulations,
              wishing His Excellency success in leading the country and care for
              all the citizens for the best interest of Syria and the Arab Nation."

              I cannot agree with your argument that this statement is anti-
              American merely because representatives of Middle Eastern Churches
              expressed gratitude to Bashar Assad. I guess by the same token, if a
              Christian leader were to denounce the denial of civil rights to
              Christians in Saudi Arabia that would be "anti-American" as well
              because Saudi Arabia is one of the closest US allies.

              You go on to claim that the forum consistently promotes anti-American
              sentiments. Even if the above statement falls into the category
              of "anti-American", the facts do not support your claim. The archives
              of messages posted on the forum are available at
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOR-Forum. You can go ahead and
              determine for yourselves the number of messages that contain any such
              statement.

              While I have no intent to open SOR-Forum for political discussion,
              the point you have raised requires a response.

              Assad is no doubt a ruler who was not democratically elected who is
              obstructing US designs for the Middle East. Now, how many allies of
              the US in the Middle East have democratically elected rulers and
              unstained hands?

              Syria is a country that is viewed as a nation that promotes terrorism
              in the Middle East by the US. Yet, Saudi Arabia, the closest ally of
              the US was the chief exporter of terrorism all over the world,
              including the terrorists of 9/11 notoriety. One cannot hide behind
              the smoke screen that terrorists were individuals acting on their
              own. The Saudi government actively funded ultra-fundamentalist
              Wahhabi schools all over the world including US and nurtured agents
              of intolerance and terror. The US did nothing about it until the
              terrorists struck America.

              Syria is perhaps the only country where Christians can live in peace,
              practice their religion without fear of reprisal, and aspire to
              equality in public life. Is an oblique acknowledgment of this fact
              anti-American? Saudi on the other hand is a land where possessing a
              Bible or Christian literature, practicing any religion other than
              Islam is a crime with grave punishment. Yet, the US is its closest
              ally; the US has not been able or willing to exert any influence on
              them to permit even a modicum of civil rights for non-Muslims. Aren't
              the human values of liberty and equality what America stands for?

              In Iraq, Christians who have lived there since time immemorial have
              been given the cold shoulder by the US administrators as the
              political future of the country is being determined. Despite the evil
              perpetrated by the butcher of Baghdad, the Christian minority fared
              better than many other countries in the Middle East; today, the
              Christian minority lives in the fear of being obliterated. In such
              circumstances, can you blame the Christians in the Middle East for
              being grateful to Assad?

              I hope you will reconsider your intemperate remarks and recognize
              that denying human beings liberty, equality and fundamental civil
              rights are truly what is "anti-American."

              Thomas Joseph
              Moderator, SOR-Forum

            • Steve Dennehy
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
                Thomas,

                I was referring specifically to paragraphs 5 and 6.
                Prasing dictators like Assad for "efforts to realize
                just and comprehensive peace in the region and her
                commitment to justice and right values" is little
                short of an outright lie. Veiled references to
                "accusations and threats against Syria, which aim at
                subdueing the whole region and plundering it's wealth
                and treasures" is obviously directed at America.
                That seems to be the party line in the Middle
                East--"America is there to steal oil and conquer the
                region". Do you really think America waznts the
                incredible headache that the Middle East is ?

                You're right, Saudi Arabia is a dictatorship, with no
                religious freedom, and is an ally of America. The
                Saud family certainly doesn't support the ultra-fun-
                damentalist Wahabi sect of Islam since it is opposed
                to them, and they have tried buying them off. The
                American government does need to put more pressure on
                the Saudi government to democratize that nation.

                The only design America has for the Middle East is to
                bring stability and hopefully, democracy to it, not
                by coercion but by example. Unfortunatwely, there is
                no tradition of democracy in any of these countries.

                It is difficult for Middle Easterners and Americans to
                communicate, principally because few Americans are
                familiar with Islam and few Middle Easterners are
                familiar with America, unless they have lived here
                which, proportionately ,few have. Mddle Easterners
                tend to get their sense of America and the American
                people from American movies, televsion, music and
                advertising, much of which is destructive and decadent
                and distorts America. This is a problem here in
                America itself between the left and the right, and
                those of us who try to hold the center.

                I am GLAD Saddam Husein is gone from power; you should
                all be glad he's gone. One less evil dictator in the
                world is to everyone's advantage, especially to the
                people of Irag and surrounding countries.

                I think it would help a great deal if the SOR forum
                focused less on the Syrian people, the Syriac language
                and the heritage of the Syrian Church and more on the
                One Who is supposed to be the point of the Syrian
                Church and every other branch of Christianity--Lord
                Yeshua Messiah (Jesus Christ), the living, present
                Lord of the Universe in us and among us.
                Steve

                MODERATOR:

                === message truncated ===

              • Zayd Abdul-Noor
                Message 7 of 9 , May 1, 2004
                  Jesus as his manhood nature was a Jew but the jews didn't accept him as saviour and God and this make no sense in politics as the   God's people are not the jewish people
                  God's people is the christians not jews
                  Isreal nowadays are criminal state and Sharon like Saddam
                  do not do like Muslims and interefere relegion with politics

                  Zayd Abdulnoor

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2004
                    > Jesus as his manhood nature was a Jew but the jews didn't accept
                    him as saviour

                    Dear friend and brother in Christ, yes of course, the Jews as a
                    majority of the Jewish people, didn't, but the very first to accept
                    Him were Jews. I don't know whether this happens in the Syriac
                    Orthodox Church, but in other Christian Churches (ex.: the Orthodox
                    Church in communion with Konstandinopolis) there even are people who
                    belong to the Jewish people and to the Christian Faith. The Catholic
                    Church even have "qehillot shel minhag 'Ibrit", "communities of
                    Hebrew tradition", made of Jews belonging to the Roman Catholic
                    Church, and in Palestine there even is an auxiliary Bishop to the
                    Latin Patriarch for the Christian Jews, Hegmon Jean-Baptiste Gourion.

                    > God's people is the christians not jews

                    We know that Yisrael was God's people, now all the Christians,
                    whether Jews (as a people, not as a religious group, which would
                    imply the denying of Christian Truth) or non-Jews, are His people.

                    > Isreal nowadays are criminal state

                    I definitely agree with you. Of course that has nothing to do with
                    the fact that Moran Yeshu' Mshi'ho was a Jew, incarnated as a Jewish
                    man, that the early Church was Jewish (ethnical meaning of "Jewish",
                    not the religious one: they are two different meanings), that the
                    Jews have been God's chosen people, that the world wide (from
                    Palestine to any other country) dispersed people of Israel and the
                    state of Israel are two different things, that a Jew may hate Israeli
                    politics as we two do (and several Jews do so)...
                    BaMshi'ho,
                    Davide