Easter / Prayers

  • Thomas P
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 16 8:20 AM
      Syrian Arab News Agency, Sun 11 Apr 2004
      DAMASCUS, April. 11

      Christian sects in Syria who follow the eastern and Western calendars
      celebrated on Sunday Easter through performing prayers, masses and
      preaches.

      Patriarch of Antioch and all the East of the Roman Catholics
      Gregorius III Laham chaired a large masse in Roman Catholic
      Patriarchate in which he spoke about the sublime values of Easter and
      the divine message conveyed by Christ for salvation of humanity as a
      whole.

      A large religious mass also was held at Mar Jurjus Cathedral for the
      Assyrian-Orthodox. . It was led by Patriarch Mar Agnatuis Zakka Ewas
      I, the patriarch of Antioch and the whole east and the higher
      chairman of the Assyrian-Orthodox church in the world.

      In similar sermons the spiritual leader of the Anglican church in
      Damascus, Botrous Zaour and archbishop of the Armenian Orthodox in
      Damascus Armache Balandian spoke in their separate sermons about the
      humanitarian message of the Christ to free human beings from their
      sin and suffering.
      Similar masses and sermons were observed in other churches and
      cathedrals in the capital and all over the Syrian governorates to
      mark the glorious occasion and to commemorate the spirit of
      coexistence shared by all Syrians of diverse groups and religions.

      Speeches and preaches during the sermons hailed Syria's national
      stance, her continuous efforts for realizing just and comprehensive
      peace in the region and her commitment to justice and right values.

      Speeches and preaches also condemned the accusations and threats
      against Syria which aim at subduing the whole region and plundering
      its wealth and treasures.

      In this respect and on directive from president Bashar al-Assad, the
      Minister of the Presidential Affairs Dr. Ghassan Laham on Sunday
      conveyed the President's heartfelt congratulation to the spiritual
      leaders of the Christian sects on the occasion of the Easter, wishing
      them success in their work.

      Dr. Laham visited His Eminence Patriarch Ignatius IV Hazim of the
      Roman Orthodox, Archbishop Luca, His Eminence Patriarch Gregorius III
      Laham of the Roman Catholics, Archbishop Isidor Battikha, Archbishop
      Elias Tibbi at the Patriarchate of the Assyrian Catholics and others.

      The spiritual leaders of the Christian sects expressed gratitude to
      President Assad for his kind congratulations, wishing His Excellency
      success in leading the country and care for all the citizens for the
      best interest of Syria and the Arab Nation.

      Awkaf Minister, Mohammad Ziada also visited the spiritual leaders of
      the Christian sects and offered them his congratulations on the
      occasion of Easter.

      During the meeting the spiritual leaders hailed the national unity
      and coexistence which Syria enjoys.

      Ghossoun /
    • Steve Dennehy
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 20 4:56 PM
        SOR Forum

        I'm very tired of constant anti-American sentiments
        and the praising of dictators in the Middle East by so
        called Christians on this forum. Apparrently Saddam
        Hussein and and Syria's Assad are living saints.
        Give me a break.

        Let's try to remember that Our Lord Yeshua Messiah
        (Jesus Christ), our God and only Saviour, is the
        Divine Jew not the Divine Syrian.

        Steve Dennehy

        http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash
      • Edward Moore
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 21 9:16 PM
          > Let's try to remember that Our Lord Yeshua Messiah
          > (Jesus Christ), our God and only Saviour, is the
          > Divine Jew not the Divine Syrian.
          >
          > Steve Dennehy

          Rather, let us remember more correctly that in Christ there is neither Jew
          nor Greek, nor slave or freeman, nor male or female, as Galatians 3:28
          explicitly teaches. There is nothing more destructive to the Christian
          faith than favoring one ethnic group over another.

          Edward Moore
        • Dàvide Sivèro
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25 4:18 AM
            > I'm very tired of constant anti-American sentiments

            Dear brother in Yeshua' hammashia'h, I take the liberty to add: how
            can it be expected that people believing in the Message of the
            Scriptures -including lots of religious Jews, who dislike Israeli and
            US politics- agree with the politics of a state (the USA) that
            supports a state (Israel) that has occupied lands where people are
            given no right, unless they are considered Jewish by the state? Jews
            living in the occupied territories, as well as Samaritans, considered
            Jewish by the state but not by the Torah, received Israeli
            citizenship, Muslims and Christians didn't.
            How can it be expected that people believing in the Message of the
            Scriptures like the civilians' deaths caused by the wars of a state,
            which has money worship as its official religion?
            This defineitely is different from being Anti-American in the meaning
            of hating the American people or any other people created by the Lord
            in the world.

            Apparrently Saddam
            > Hussein and and Syria's Assad are living saints.

            I completely agree that Syria isn't a democracy. As to Assad, he was
            welcomed by the Neture Qarta of London (cfr.
            www.nkusa.org/activities/press/london121502.cfm ), so I don't think
            he is a bloody Anti-Semite either (it would be better to say "Anti-
            Jew" because Syrians definitely are Semites), but, surely, he isn't
            democratic.
            As to his supposed sanctity ;-) do you know that Assad isn't a true
            monotheist either, he isn't a Muslim? He is from the Nusayri sect of
            the Kurdish-originated cult of angels, which is considered a
            development of Mithraism.

            > Let's try to remember that Our Lord Yeshua Messiah
            > (Jesus Christ), our God and only Saviour, is the
            > Divine Jew not the Divine Syrian.

            Of course Yeshua' HamMashia'h was a Jew, and almost all the prophets
            and the main saints of our faith, including the mother of God, are
            Jews.
            Shalom uverakhah,
            Davide
          • Steve Dennehy
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 25 3:56 PM
              Davide,
              I,like most Americans, support the establishment of a
              Palestinian State ,as does Pres. Bush. I would like
              to see Israel withdraw from the occupied territories
              but we also have to remember these territories were
              occupied after Israel was attacked in the 1967 War.
              The Arabs, Muslim and Christian, of Israel are full
              citizens of the State of Israel and are about 20% of
              the population.
              I want a free Palestinian nation as well as a secure
              Israel.
              America is committed to Israel to it's survival and
              it's security, but we don't think everything Israel
              does is right. Like every other nation Israelis are
              good and evil.
              It isn't money worship that causes us to send our sons
              and daughters to Iraq, it was to rid Irag, the Middle
              East and the world of a very evil dictator who has
              been a constant problem to the people of Irag as well
              as to his neighbors (Iran, Kuwait). You don't know
              America, sir, you don't know the hearts of our people
              or our President. You would never accuse our nation
              of such evil. Americans are not perfect, we are good
              and evil like all people but you folks are intent on
              painitng us as all-evil and yourselves as all-good.
              Both are lies.
              Nationalsim, worship of your nation or ethnic group,
              is idolatry. Worship God alone; only God is God.
              In Lord Yeshua (Jesus) who suffered and died for the
              sins of all people.
              Steve

            • drthomas_joseph
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 26 10:43 PM
                Steve -

                The SOR-Forum is dedicated to disseminating information related to
                the spiritual heritage of the Syriac Orthodox Church. Significant
                news related to the Church are also disseminated on the forum as
                appropriate. Members of the forum are nationals of different
                countries including a number of US nationals and residents. We have
                no intent to support any political agenda including promoting any
                anti-American sentiments. At the same time, we have no intent to
                censor messages of interest to Christians in the Middle East because
                it may offend some Americans or of other nationalities.

                I assume that the quote in Message <a
                href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOR-Forum/message/579">579</a>
                that provoked you is "The spiritual leaders of the Christian sects
                expressed gratitude to President Assad for his kind congratulations,
                wishing His Excellency success in leading the country and care for
                all the citizens for the best interest of Syria and the Arab Nation."

                I cannot agree with your argument that this statement is anti-
                American merely because representatives of Middle Eastern Churches
                expressed gratitude to Bashar Assad. I guess by the same token, if a
                Christian leader were to denounce the denial of civil rights to
                Christians in Saudi Arabia that would be "anti-American" as well
                because Saudi Arabia is one of the closest US allies.

                You go on to claim that the forum consistently promotes anti-American
                sentiments. Even if the above statement falls into the category
                of "anti-American", the facts do not support your claim. The archives
                of messages posted on the forum are available at
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOR-Forum. You can go ahead and
                determine for yourselves the number of messages that contain any such
                statement.

                While I have no intent to open SOR-Forum for political discussion,
                the point you have raised requires a response.

                Assad is no doubt a ruler who was not democratically elected who is
                obstructing US designs for the Middle East. Now, how many allies of
                the US in the Middle East have democratically elected rulers and
                unstained hands?

                Syria is a country that is viewed as a nation that promotes terrorism
                in the Middle East by the US. Yet, Saudi Arabia, the closest ally of
                the US was the chief exporter of terrorism all over the world,
                including the terrorists of 9/11 notoriety. One cannot hide behind
                the smoke screen that terrorists were individuals acting on their
                own. The Saudi government actively funded ultra-fundamentalist
                Wahhabi schools all over the world including US and nurtured agents
                of intolerance and terror. The US did nothing about it until the
                terrorists struck America.

                Syria is perhaps the only country where Christians can live in peace,
                practice their religion without fear of reprisal, and aspire to
                equality in public life. Is an oblique acknowledgment of this fact
                anti-American? Saudi on the other hand is a land where possessing a
                Bible or Christian literature, practicing any religion other than
                Islam is a crime with grave punishment. Yet, the US is its closest
                ally; the US has not been able or willing to exert any influence on
                them to permit even a modicum of civil rights for non-Muslims. Aren't
                the human values of liberty and equality what America stands for?

                In Iraq, Christians who have lived there since time immemorial have
                been given the cold shoulder by the US administrators as the
                political future of the country is being determined. Despite the evil
                perpetrated by the butcher of Baghdad, the Christian minority fared
                better than many other countries in the Middle East; today, the
                Christian minority lives in the fear of being obliterated. In such
                circumstances, can you blame the Christians in the Middle East for
                being grateful to Assad?

                I hope you will reconsider your intemperate remarks and recognize
                that denying human beings liberty, equality and fundamental civil
                rights are truly what is "anti-American."

                Thomas Joseph
                Moderator, SOR-Forum

              • Steve Dennehy
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 27 5:29 PM
                  Thomas,

                  I was referring specifically to paragraphs 5 and 6.
                  Prasing dictators like Assad for "efforts to realize
                  just and comprehensive peace in the region and her
                  commitment to justice and right values" is little
                  short of an outright lie. Veiled references to
                  "accusations and threats against Syria, which aim at
                  subdueing the whole region and plundering it's wealth
                  and treasures" is obviously directed at America.
                  That seems to be the party line in the Middle
                  East--"America is there to steal oil and conquer the
                  region". Do you really think America waznts the
                  incredible headache that the Middle East is ?

                  You're right, Saudi Arabia is a dictatorship, with no
                  religious freedom, and is an ally of America. The
                  Saud family certainly doesn't support the ultra-fun-
                  damentalist Wahabi sect of Islam since it is opposed
                  to them, and they have tried buying them off. The
                  American government does need to put more pressure on
                  the Saudi government to democratize that nation.

                  The only design America has for the Middle East is to
                  bring stability and hopefully, democracy to it, not
                  by coercion but by example. Unfortunatwely, there is
                  no tradition of democracy in any of these countries.

                  It is difficult for Middle Easterners and Americans to
                  communicate, principally because few Americans are
                  familiar with Islam and few Middle Easterners are
                  familiar with America, unless they have lived here
                  which, proportionately ,few have. Mddle Easterners
                  tend to get their sense of America and the American
                  people from American movies, televsion, music and
                  advertising, much of which is destructive and decadent
                  and distorts America. This is a problem here in
                  America itself between the left and the right, and
                  those of us who try to hold the center.

                  I am GLAD Saddam Husein is gone from power; you should
                  all be glad he's gone. One less evil dictator in the
                  world is to everyone's advantage, especially to the
                  people of Irag and surrounding countries.

                  I think it would help a great deal if the SOR forum
                  focused less on the Syrian people, the Syriac language
                  and the heritage of the Syrian Church and more on the
                  One Who is supposed to be the point of the Syrian
                  Church and every other branch of Christianity--Lord
                  Yeshua Messiah (Jesus Christ), the living, present
                  Lord of the Universe in us and among us.
                  Steve

                  MODERATOR:

                  === message truncated ===

                • Zayd Abdul-Noor
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2004
                    Jesus as his manhood nature was a Jew but the jews didn't accept him as saviour and God and this make no sense in politics as the   God's people are not the jewish people
                    God's people is the christians not jews
                    Isreal nowadays are criminal state and Sharon like Saddam
                    do not do like Muslims and interefere relegion with politics

                    Zayd Abdulnoor

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2, 2004
                      > Jesus as his manhood nature was a Jew but the jews didn't accept
                      him as saviour

                      Dear friend and brother in Christ, yes of course, the Jews as a
                      majority of the Jewish people, didn't, but the very first to accept
                      Him were Jews. I don't know whether this happens in the Syriac
                      Orthodox Church, but in other Christian Churches (ex.: the Orthodox
                      Church in communion with Konstandinopolis) there even are people who
                      belong to the Jewish people and to the Christian Faith. The Catholic
                      Church even have "qehillot shel minhag 'Ibrit", "communities of
                      Hebrew tradition", made of Jews belonging to the Roman Catholic
                      Church, and in Palestine there even is an auxiliary Bishop to the
                      Latin Patriarch for the Christian Jews, Hegmon Jean-Baptiste Gourion.

                      > God's people is the christians not jews

                      We know that Yisrael was God's people, now all the Christians,
                      whether Jews (as a people, not as a religious group, which would
                      imply the denying of Christian Truth) or non-Jews, are His people.

                      > Isreal nowadays are criminal state

                      I definitely agree with you. Of course that has nothing to do with
                      the fact that Moran Yeshu' Mshi'ho was a Jew, incarnated as a Jewish
                      man, that the early Church was Jewish (ethnical meaning of "Jewish",
                      not the religious one: they are two different meanings), that the
                      Jews have been God's chosen people, that the world wide (from
                      Palestine to any other country) dispersed people of Israel and the
                      state of Israel are two different things, that a Jew may hate Israeli
                      politics as we two do (and several Jews do so)...
                      BaMshi'ho,
                      Davide