Does Oriental Orthodox Churches reserve the Eucharist?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2004
      Dear members

      The following question was raised in one of the
      International Orthodox forum and I passed this
      question to my spiritual fathers and friends and
      got following answers from two of them.
      I wish to share with you all these replies for
      understanding more about our Church practice.

      In HIS Love
      Thomas Daniel (Reji)
      Cheppaud, Alleppy Dist, Kerala, Inida
      http://groups.msn.com/StGeorgeSyrianOrthodoxChurchCheppaud
      Question raised in the Orthodox Forum

      I am curious to know which Oriental Orthodox Churches
      reserve the Eucharist.

      I am under the impression that the Coptic Church does
      not reserve the Eucharist. Why is that the case? Is
      the Eucharist not taken to those who are not able to
      attend liturgy due to illness?

      What about the other Oriental Orthodox Churches
      (Armenian, Syrian, Ethiopian, Eritrean, Malankara)
      and the Assyrian Church of the East? Do they all
      reserve the Eucharist for the sick?

      Your replies will be much appreciated.
      God bless you.
      Griego Catolico
      Reply from Very. Rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil

      Dear Reji,

      The SOC has provisions to reserve the Eucharist for
      emergencies and to take to the sick. It is a usual
      practice in the old churches in Malankara. I don't
      know about the traditions in the Middle East.
      Kadavil Thirumeni mentions about this practice in
      his book, 'Eucharist Service' P.141 MASC edition.

      Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Director, Mor Adai Study Center &
      Vicar, St. George J.S.O. Church, Chicago.
      Reply from Dr. Thomas Joseph

      Reji - The SOC in the Near East does have the tradition
      of keeping the Eucharist for emergencies. In fact many
      of their churches have a "Beth Qurbono" for this purpose
      in which the Eucharist is stored in a pyx. I am attaching
      a picture of the Beth Qurbono at St. Mark's, Hackensack, NJ.

      Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
      Web Master, Syriac Orthodox Resources
      [ http://sor.cua.edu/ ]
      Tech. Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies
      [http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye/%5d
      From the desk of the moderators

      To view the picture of Beth Qurbono at St. Mark's,
      Hackensack, NJ, please visit SOCM Photo gallery with
      MSN on following link
      http://groups.msn.com/SOCM-FORUM/churchtraditions.msnw