Lenten Meditation: The One

  • wingertmike
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2004
      Lenten Meditation: The One

      To my beloved Syrian Orthodox brothers and sisters in Christ.
      Greetings in the name of our Great God and Savior Jesus Christ.

      I've spent several hours in contemplation of such notions, and
      because it has been beneficial to me, I found it worthwhile to
      mention these ideas in brief. If you my brethren, would permit me
      to share this meditation, I'd be most honored.

      God is one; not only is God one, but He is the One. Such a concept
      of oneness is fascinating on so many levels. Likewise, when God's
      Meaning (Meltho – Logos) became incarnate for all mankind, He was
      dubbed the YiHidoyo. In the English language we translate this as
      "Only-Begotten," though in Syriac, its meaning is much deeper.
      YiHido has a meaning of "one." Therefore, one who is YiHidoyo is
      the person of one, or we might say, unique. Because Christ is the
      YiHidoyo of God, we experience the perfection of God in His
      Messiah. Our calling in Christianity is to become as Christ, to
      undergo a process of transformation from what we are—imperfect
      beings, into what we should be—perfect, as our heavenly Father is
      perfect. (Matthew 5:48) We call this process of transformation,
      YiHidoyoutho, wherein we become YiHidoye like Christ, who is the
      perfect YiHidoyo.

      Many times people associate oneness with individuality, and
      individuality with division. This is true to a great extent, as
      humanity often sees oneness as that thing which identifies a person
      as distinct from others. Yet, this is what the teachings of Christ
      serve to counter. Instead, we are to consider God who is the one
      who exists and the creator of our very existence. We are taught
      that the greatest commandments are to Love God and our neighbor
      (Luke 10:27)--because outside of our selflove, we find the
      opportunity to love in the state of oneness with God.

      Since sin is that thing which keeps us from being one with God, is
      it not our duty to rid ourselves of such a plague?

      Consider oneness. In expresses itself in many ways, yet ultimately
      is one. It is God who commanded the Apostles to be one, as the
      Father and Son are one (John 17:11). God called the light Day, and
      the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was
      morning, one day (Genesis 1:5) We cry out during the Qurbana, "One
      Holy Father, One Holy Son, One Holy Spirit," echoing the Oneness of
      the Trinity. The great saints of the Christian faith again remind
      us of the oneness of God's one divine incarnate nature. If each of
      these examples, and there are many more, are indeed many yet
      ultimately one, let us consider the idea of "one." Meditate on
      the very number.

      Every number after ONE, is but a series of ones. For instance, two
      is one and one; three is one and one and one, etc. The alternative
      to one is zero: nothing. Oneness therefore, shares a parallel with
      existence. This is the same with God. He is existence in its
      purest form, creating all other things. The alternative to
      existence is non-existence: nothingness. And because the way of
      existence (and thus, the way of God) is love, God's Messiah, who is
      nothing less than the incarnation of Love's meaning, is the
      YiHidoyo – the One. Let us therefore take this Lent to observe
      oneness and take part in YiHidoyoutho, making ourselves one with He
      who is the one.
      O Good One have pity and mercy on us.

      Mike Wingert
      St. Ephraim Syriac Orthodox Cathedral