The Patriarch's Lent Encyclical 2001

  • thomas_joseph@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2001
      By tradition, every year the Patriarch of Antioch authors a lengthy
      encyclical before the great lent, to be read in all churches on the
      Sunday of the Feast of Cana. This is usually the most important
      encyclical from His Holiness for the year.

      In the encyclical for this year's lenten season, His Holiness dwells
      on the theme of "Faith working through love," based on the verse from
      St. Paul's epistle to the Galatians (5:6). The encyclical emphasizes
      that faith without works is dead. The arrival of the Holy Lent is a
      golden opportunity for us to enter into a spiritual struggle against
      the devil and overcome him by our faith. The holy father exhorts us
      to couple our faith with good deeds, particularly the deeds of mercy,
      such as giving out alms, helping the poor, and tending to the orphans
      and widows.

      The encyclical for this year has been translated by Very Rev. Fr.
      Joseph Tarzi, Ph.D. and can be viewed at the following URL.