Re: Jesus prayer

  • mfignatius
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2004
      Davide,

      > I would like to ask whether any form of the Greek Orthodox Jesus
      > prayer ("Kyrie Iisou Christe, hyie Theou, eleison me ton
      amartolon",
      > i.e. "Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, forgive me a sinner") exists
      in
      > the Syriac tradition. It is recited counting how many times it is
      > said on a prayer rope.

      We do have a concluding prayer that we say along with the Angelic
      Hymn of St. Athanasius. It goes:

      "Our Lord Jesus Christ, close not the door of your mercies on our
      faces m'lord, we confess that we are sinners. Have mercy on us."

      Sometimes I will chant this alone to myself in a similar fashion to
      the Jesus Prayer. The Syriac version has a wonderful pacing.

      In Christ,
      Mike