Jesus prayer

  • Dàvide Sivèro
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2004
      Dear Eugene and Gabriel,
      I thank you with all my heart! May God reward and bless you.
      Unluckily I cannot read the very interesting documents of www.suryoyo-
      online.org library because I do not know German :-(
      I would like to ask whether any form of the Greek Orthodox Jesus
      prayer ("Kyrie Iisou Christe, hyie Theou, eleison me ton amartolon",
      i.e. "Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, forgive me a sinner") exists in
      the Syriac tradition. It is recited counting how many times it is
      said on a prayer rope.
      And how is the Syriac Christian mesbaha used?
      Thank you very much!
      Shato brikho!
      BaMshiho,
      Davide
    • mfignatius
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2004
        Davide,

        > I would like to ask whether any form of the Greek Orthodox Jesus
        > prayer ("Kyrie Iisou Christe, hyie Theou, eleison me ton
        amartolon",
        > i.e. "Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, forgive me a sinner") exists
        in
        > the Syriac tradition. It is recited counting how many times it is
        > said on a prayer rope.

        We do have a concluding prayer that we say along with the Angelic
        Hymn of St. Athanasius. It goes:

        "Our Lord Jesus Christ, close not the door of your mercies on our
        faces m'lord, we confess that we are sinners. Have mercy on us."

        Sometimes I will chant this alone to myself in a similar fashion to
        the Jesus Prayer. The Syriac version has a wonderful pacing.

        In Christ,
        Mike