Re: [SORForum] Holy objects

  • Gabriel Rabo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2004
      Dear Davide

      About this subject see please my article http://www.suryoyo-online.org/library/geraete.pdf in Suryoyo Online Library http://www.suryoyo-online.org/library

      regards

      Gabriel
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 9:22 PM
      Subject: [SORForum] Holy objects

      Dear friends,
      I am interested in Syriac Orthodoxy and am researching a lot about
      the theological differences between the Churches.
      I would need know whether objects used in the Qurbono (ex. altar,
      chalice etc.) become holy/sacred only if consecrated by an ordained
      priest. I think the answer is "yes", but I would like to ask you...
      I wish a Merry Christmas to the communities that follow the Julian
      calendar! Brikh mawlodeh dMoran!
      BaMshiho,
      Davide

    • Eugene Kaplan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2004

        Dear David

        The answer is "Yes", must be consecrated by the priest.

        Have a Merry Xmas and happy New Year

        + Eugene Kaplan

        >From: D�vide Siv�ro
        >To: SOR-Forum@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [SORForum] Holy objects
        >Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:22:25 -0000
        >
        >Dear friends,
        >I am interested in Syriac Orthodoxy and am researching a lot about
        >the theological differences between the Churches.
        >I would need know whether objects used in the Qurbono (ex. altar,
        >chalice etc.) become holy/sacred only if consecrated by an ordained
        >priest. I think the answer is "yes", but I would like to ask you...
        >I wish a Merry Christmas to the communities that follow the Julian
        >calendar! Brikh mawlodeh dMoran!
        >BaMshiho,
        >Davide

        Get reliable dial-up Internet access now with our limited-time introductory offer.
      • Dàvide Sivèro
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2004
          Dear Eugene and Gabriel,
          I thank you with all my heart! May God reward and bless you.
          Unluckily I cannot read the very interesting documents of www.suryoyo-
          online.org library because I do not know German :-(
          I would like to ask whether any form of the Greek Orthodox Jesus
          prayer ("Kyrie Iisou Christe, hyie Theou, eleison me ton amartolon",
          i.e. "Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, forgive me a sinner") exists in
          the Syriac tradition. It is recited counting how many times it is
          said on a prayer rope.
          And how is the Syriac Christian mesbaha used?
          Thank you very much!
          Shato brikho!
          BaMshiho,
          Davide
        • mfignatius
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 15, 2004
            Davide,

            > I would like to ask whether any form of the Greek Orthodox Jesus
            > prayer ("Kyrie Iisou Christe, hyie Theou, eleison me ton
            amartolon",
            > i.e. "Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, forgive me a sinner") exists
            in
            > the Syriac tradition. It is recited counting how many times it is
            > said on a prayer rope.

            We do have a concluding prayer that we say along with the Angelic
            Hymn of St. Athanasius. It goes:

            "Our Lord Jesus Christ, close not the door of your mercies on our
            faces m'lord, we confess that we are sinners. Have mercy on us."

            Sometimes I will chant this alone to myself in a similar fashion to
            the Jesus Prayer. The Syriac version has a wonderful pacing.

            In Christ,
            Mike