Patriarchs of Oriental Churches meet in Lebanon

  • Thomas Joseph
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2003
      From: "Gabriel Rabo" <grabo@...>
      To: "suryoyo-online" <suryoyo-online@...>
      Date: 20 Oct 2003 12:54:48 -0700

      Pope Shenouda III, Patriarch Zakka I and Catholicos Aram I Sign a Common
      Declaration in Antelias

      ANTELIAS, LEBANON - On Saturday, October 18, 2003 at the end of the annual
      meeting of the Heads of the Oriental Orthodox Churches in the Middle East,
      His Holiness Pope Shenouda III of the Coptic Church, His Holiness Patriarch
      Zakka I of the Syrian Church and His Holiness Catholicos Aram I of the
      Armenian Church-Catholicosate of Cilicia signed a common declaration
      underlining their concerns and perspectives related to the active
      participation of their faithful in Evangelism, Diakonia, Christian
      education, theological formation and youth involvement as the genuine
      expressions of life and witness of their Churches. Additionally, issues
      related to theological dialogues and ecumenical collaboration on global and
      regional levels, as well as human rights, social justice, peace and
      inter-faith relations were discussed and highlighted.

      On Friday evening, October 17, 2003, His Holiness Aram I hosted an official
      dinner at the Catholicosate in honor of His Holiness Shenouda III and His
      Holiness Zakka I. The dinner was attended by 150 guests, including the
      representatives of the President of the Republic, His Excellency General
      Emil Lahoud, of the Speaker of the Parliament, His Excellency Mr. Nabih
      Berri, and of the Prime Minister, His Excellency Mr. Rafik Hariri, and
      Christian and Muslim spiritual leaders, dignitaries of the diplomatic corps
      and leaders of the Armenian community.

      His Holiness Aram I addressed the guests and indicated that the meeting of
      the three Spiritual Heads of the Oriental Orthodox Churches is the
      manifestation of Christian unity, inter-religious and ecumenical cooperation
      and expression of a living faith.

      For full story and pictures see SOLNews:

      http://www.suryoyo-online.org/news/orientalchurch-declaration2003.htm

      See when your friends are online with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now
      FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com