Nineweh

  • maurnicus@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2001
      Shlomo,
      Since we're having the fast of Nineweh next week, I was wondering if any of the more learned members of this group could give us all a little detailed background on it. It commemorates Jonah yes?

      This will be my first Nineweh fast!

      Could someone explain the celibration at the end of the fast next wednesday also?

      Peace,
      mike
    • thomas_joseph@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2001
        Bo`utho d-Neenwoye--Rogation of the Ninevites--is a fast of three
        days occurring three weeks before the Great Lent. It is observed in
        the Syriac Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, Armenian Orthodox and the
        Assyrian Church of the East (In the Armenian Church, it immediately
        precedes the Lenten fast.) Gregorius Bar `Ebroyo (1224-1284), the
        great Maphryono of the East, writes in his ktobo d-eTiqun (Book of
        Ethics): "The people in the East observe the fast of Nineveh from
        Monday in the third week before the great fast till the morning of
        Thursday; the people in the West till the morning of Saturday." (East
        in this context refers to the Syriac Orthodox in the East under the
        Maphryono, and the West to those directly under the Patriarch of
        Antioch.) Today, it is observed for only three days throughout the
        Syriac Orthodox Church.

        The narrative in the Book of Jonah, one of the twelve minor prophets
        in the Old Testament, provides the theme for the fast. The book
        describes Yahweh's call to Jonah to go to the Gentile city of Nineveh
        (today near Mosul, Iraq) to preach repentance, his disobedience, his
        attempt to escape to Tarshish by sea, his punishment by being thrown
        overboard and swallowed by a great fish, his deliverance after three
        days and nights and the final success of his mission. On hearing
        God's message of impending doom, the Ninevites including their king
        repented and from the greatest to the least, they went without food
        wearing sackcloth to show their sorrow. Repentance that saves mankind
        from God's wrath is, thus, the theme of the three day fast.

        In the Gospels, Christ refers more than once to the 'sign of Jonah'
        (Mt 12:39, 16:4, Lk 11:29), which is interpreted in Mt. 12:40 as a
        prophecy of his resurrection--"For as Jonah was in the belly of the
        great fish for three days and three nights, so I, the Son of Man,
        will be in the heart of the earth for three days and three
        nights." "The people of Nineveh will rise up against this generation
        on judgment day and condemn it, because they repented at the
        preaching of Jonah. And now someone greater than Jonah is here--and
        you refuse to repent" (Mt 12:41). The fast of Nineveh assumes great
        significance in this context.

        The Syriac Orthodox liturgy commemorates the repentance of the
        Ninevites in many hymns. The following is from a hymn in the morning
        prayer for Monday in the ShHimo (Daily prayer book):

        Lord, hear and answer my prayer. Halleluiah.

        Accept our incense like that offered by Aaron
        and our service like the pleas of those of Ninevah.
        Respond to the pleas of Thy servants
        as with Jonah in the sea.

        Glory to Thy merciful grace, O Jesus, God.
        How abundant are the gifts from Thee to all the world!
        Ninevites who called on Thee were
        delivered from the wrath by their pleas.

        Following are the readings for the fast (from the Scripture Readings
        for Sundays & Feast Days According to the Tradition of the Syrian
        Orthodox Church of Antioch, New York, March 2000):

        Monday:
        Genesis 18:20-33, Joshua 8:18-29; Zephaniah 2:9-15, 3:1-13
        1 Peter 3:7-15; Hebrews 12:3-11; Matthew 12:31-41

        Tuesday:
        Genesis 19:1-14; Nahum 3:5-19; Isaiah 13:1-22
        1 Peter 4:7-19; Romans 13:1-10; Luke 4:24-32; Luke 11:5-23; Matthew
        24:36-46

        Wednesday:
        Genesis 19:14-30; Judges 10:1-16; Jonah 1:1-4:11
        Acts 18:23-28; 1 Timothy 2:1-15; Luke 12:54-59; Luke 13:1-8; Luke
        17:20-37