The Cross Sign

  • Jeries Shahin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2003
      Dear all brothers,

      i would like to inquire about a matter concerning the way we draw
      the cross sign... as we all know we draw the cross sign frm the head
      to the belly, and then from the left to the right, in a one finger.
      this differs from the greek orthodox church that they draw it in
      three fingers, and from the right to the left.

      my question is in two parts:
      1- when the priest draws the cross sign on the believers, he do it
      also from the left to the write, this results that the person who he
      us drawing on, will get the cross from the right to the left, try it
      and you will see what i mean. Why is that? and why doesn't the
      priest do it the other way round.
      2- when the priest forms his finger to bless the believers, some
      priests form it with one finger rising, the others do it with two
      fingers rising and crossing each others, just like the greek
      orthodox do. since the two finger rising means two things: the alpha
      and omega, and the belief of two natures in the christ. why do we
      use it, is this a sign that we believe exectly like the greek
      orthodox?

      regards
      Qoruyo Jeries Shahin