automatic church calendar

  • Sarkessian, Gary A
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2003

      The Armenians would also be interested in automating the Armenian Orthodox Church Calendar.   Are there tools to do this?

      Garabed A. Sarkessian

      The Apostolic, Catholic, Orthodox, Holy Church of Armenia

      Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

      USA

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2003
        Gary -

        I have not come across any "tools" as such that can automate such calendars
        readily. We had to implement the algorithms in a Java application that
        outputs the calendar data in XML format, which is then transformed into a
        calendar style html document using XSLT. The feast and lection data are
        entered in an Access database.

        I do not have much of an understanding of the Armenian calendar; if your
        calendars are generated for a Gregorian year (although the date of Easter
        and other feasts may be calculated on the Julian calendar), you could use
        what we developed as a baseline. I can send you the presentation which you
        can help you assess whether you can leverage any of our work.

        Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
        Web Master, Syrian Orthodox Resources [ sor.cua.edu ]
        Tech. Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies [ syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye ]