IVth Syriac Symposium at Princeton

  • Thomas Joseph
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2003
      The Fourth North American Syriac Symposium will be held from July 9-12, 2003
      at Princeton University. I had the opportunity to attend the third
      conference at Notre Dame in 1999 and plan to attend the upcoming one as
      well. This year the keynote sessions will be streamed live as well as
      archived at http://www.ptsem.edu/Syriac03/ . This includes the inaugural
      program "Syriac Hymns and Songs" that will feature chanting of hymns from
      the Syrian Orthodox Church, Assyrian Church, and the Syro-Malankara &
      Syro-Malabar churches of India. At the last conference, I found the keynotes
      very compelling in content.

      I will be presenting a paper coauthored with Simon Skaria of Microsoft on
      "Automating the Liturgical Calendar of the Syrian Orthodox Church" on June
      11th at the Syriac Computing Forum. This will present the algorithms used to
      generate the liturgical calendar & lectionary and describe its
      implementation using Java, JDBC, XML, & XSLT.

      Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
      Web Master, SOR [http://sor.cua.edu/%5d
      Technical Editor, Hugoye [http://www.bethmardutho.org/Hugoye/%5d