Feast of Peter and Paul

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2003
      Peter

      Simon is more often called Peter, or Simon Peter. That is because
      Jesus, when He first met Simon, gave him a new name. He told
      him: "you shall be called Peter."

      Jesus used the word "Cephas," which meant "rock" in the language
      spoken in the Holy Land in those time…

      One day Jesus asked His disciples who people thought He was. They
      said Elijah, Jeremiah or some other Prophet.

      Jesus then asked them who they thought He was. Peter spoke up: "You
      are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God."

      Jesus said to Peter: "You are Peter (which means Rock), and upon this
      rock I will build My Church...................

      Peter was Bishop of Antioch two years before the council of Jerusalem
      which took place in the year 49. He was the Head of that first
      Council of the Church… There is a story that Peter was leaving Rome
      when he met Jesus coming in and he asked Him where He was going.

      Jesus said: "I am going to be crucified again."

      Peter at once turned back, realizing that the cross was to be for him
      too.

      Peter was crucified in Rome in 66 or 67. By his own request he was
      hung on the Cross with his head downward.

      Paul

      Paul of Tarsus became the most bitter enemy that Christians had. He
      obtained letters from the high priest to take soldiers to Damascus
      and bring back Christians to Jerusalem in chains

      As Saul and his group drew near to Damascus, a great light shone
      around them. Saul looked up but fell to the earth blinded. He then
      heard a voice saying: "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute Me?"

      "Who are you, Lord?" Saul asked. The voice answered: "I am Jesus,
      Whom you are persecuting."

      Those that were with Saul saw the light, but they did not hear the
      voice. Saul then spoke: "Lord, what do You want me to do?"

      The voice answered: "Arise and go into the city, and there you will
      be told what to do.

      But many beautiful things happened to Paul, too, which strengthened
      him for his work. Jesus spoke to him right out of heaven, as Paul was
      going to Damascus. Many times God spoke to him, bringing comfort and
      hope.

      Once in a vision Paul say the glories of heaven and heard words so
      wonderful that no man could ever speak them.

      We should try to imitate St. Paul in his love for Jesus and His
      Church. We should pray to him for all the missionaries who are
      continuing his work throughout the world.

      After thirty years of untiring labor, long travels and constant
      persecution, Paul, the great Apostle of Jesus Christ, finally died
      the death of a martyr. He was beheaded about the year 67 in Rome.

      Lord you have made this day holy by the martyrdom of Your Apostles
      Peter and Paul.

      Grant that your Church may follow in all things the precepts of those
      from whom she first received the Faith. Amen.

      From Saint Paul, and Saint Peter by father Lovasik