Armenian Orthodox patriarch receives honorary degree in Baltimore

    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2003
      Armenian Orthodox patriarch receives honorary degree in Baltimore

      BALTIMORE (CNS) -- Unity between the Catholic and Orthodox churches
      could be achieved if the major Orthodox communities would put aside
      concerns about the pecking order of leadership and establish a
      council of bishops chaired by the pope, said Patriarch Mesrob II.

      The head of the Armenian Oriental Orthodox Church's patriarchate in
      Istanbul made the comments while in Baltimore May 15. He was in town
      to receive an honorary degree from St. Mary's Seminary and University
      at the invitation of Cardinal William H. Keeler, an international
      leader in ecumenical dialogue.

      "We have no problem with the primacy of Peter," Patriarch Mesrob
      said in an interview with The Catholic Review, Baltimore archdiocesan
      newspaper, during his visit with Cardinal Keeler earlier in the day
      at the cardinal's residence. "We never worried about which church
      would be the leader," he said. "Our history has been preoccupied
      with survival.