The Lenten Prayer of St Ephrem the Syrian Part 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2003
      The Lenten Prayer of St Ephrem the Syrian Part 3

      By Protopresbyter Alexander Schmemann

      Lust of power! Strange as it may seem, it is precisely sloth and
      despondency that fill our life with lust of power. By vitiating the
      entire attitude toward life and making it meaningless and empty, they
      force us to seek compensation in, a radically wrong attitude toward
      other persons. If my life is not oriented toward God, not aimed at
      eternal values, it will inevitably become selfish and selfcentered and
      this means that all other beings will become means of my own self
      -satisfaction. If God is not the Lord and Master of my life, then I
      become my own lord and master -- the absolute center of my own world,
      and I begin to evaluate everything in terms of my needs, my ideas, my
      desires, and my judgments. The lust of power is thus a fundamental
      depravity in my relationship to other beings, a search for their
      subordination to me. It is not necessarily expressed in the actual
      urge to command and to dominate "others." It may result as well in
      indifference, contempt, lack of interest, consideration, and respect.
      It is indeed sloth and despondency directed this time at others; it
      completes spiritual suicide with spiritual murder.

      Contd... Part 4